Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Rock Stacker

Talking Emissions FJ40

Took my 78 FJ40 to the State Emissions Testing Station in Arvada on Tuesday. They found high HC levels at idle. Tested level was 454 limit is 400. I dumped some "Guaranteed to Pass" fluid into a full tank on the word of a younger co-worker who told me that the "Stuff" had dramatically reduced his HC level on his J**P when he was having troubles passing. I had recently changed Cap, Rotor, and plugs on a whim. They also nailed me on the gas cap not holding pressure. I will return next week to see if the "Stuff" helps.
Sad thing is, that when the Tech was looking over the engine compartment he said "No Air Pump"? I had to point out the pump to him, then he was attempting to place a sensor on the spark plug wire; looking on the drivers side he could not find one. I said " This in an In-Line 6. The plug wires on on this side."
I cannot feel a lot of confidence in the people who are suposed to make a living on testing emissions when they are not even familiar with the components of a vehicle.
Maybe I'll have better luck next week.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would also consider adding a few gallons of E-85 fuel to your tank, to give it more oxygen to help with the HC levels.

I had a kid at Sears unlatch the windshield hold-down latches (in the middle of the hood) in an attempt to open the hood. How's that for clueless?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

I let my tank run down to less than a quarter tank, and added a bottle of rubbing alcohol before driving to the emissions place. Ran the test, and my HC levels dropped way down. Then went to the gas station and filled the tank. I passed, and back on the road. Is your timing set to factory specs?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Rock Stacker

I will most likely look at the timing tomorrow. I have not checked it, but the last two years I have passed with flying colors. The plug gap that I set two weeks ago was .040 per recommended specifications. I have almost a factory LC it has almost no modifications. I think 175K miles?? Pretty rusty though, picked it up 2 years ago. Even had the working AM radio in it (less the speaker in the glove box).
Thanks for the tips.

I think that this is the last year I need to pass. I asked DMV last year to get classic plates and they said it was 35 years. I am tempted to go with headers after that, the cluster of emission devices all over the manifolds seems like it keeps heat from escaping in the hot summer months.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Childhood View Post
I think that this is the last year I need to pass. I asked DMV last year to get classic plates and they said it was 35 years. I am tempted to go with headers after that, the cluster of emission devices all over the manifolds seems like it keeps heat from escaping in the hot summer months.
I'm pretty sure that the new law is not 35 years or older, but rather it must be a pre-76 vehicle in order to obtain collector plates.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the new law is not 35 years or older, but rather it must be a pre-76 vehicle in order to obtain collector plates.
That is correct

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...llector+plates
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Been here few years back on less than quarter tank and on cooler day one gallon of denatured alcohol and it might pass or at least thats what I did when my fj40 had a dead cylinder and I moved to Park county.

My .02
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva r.i.p. 336k
01 vw golf daily driver
KDDHQ
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

What does the alcohol do exactly? Never heard that trick before.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
What does the alcohol do exactly? Never heard that trick before.
Same as adding Heet or E85 to an almost empty tank. As far as I understand, it burns cleaner and hotter than regular fuel and emits fewer HC's. You just wouldn't want to run it for longer than necessary. These aren't race car engines.

'85 FJ60
Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Rock Stacker

Looked at the timing today. I have not timed a 2F since I was about 17 in auto shop class long ago. I even looked in the front, where most domestic engines were located back in the day (Dough). Then the hair on my neck stood up as I remembered that it was located on the flywheel. Low and behold there was the little dot barely visible in the window. I believe that the timing was much too advanced. I set the dot on the needle, but it seemed to run a little rough. I checked the "old school" 2F manual that I have. It showed to set the dot on the needle, but I set it about 3/8" lower than the needle and it seemed to run much better. I can remember that the timing had to be set different for high altitude. I think that it was suposed to be 4 degrees above top dead center, but I am not sure?
I will try the E85 before I take it back in for emissions. Is that kind of fuel hard to find? I cant recall seeing it at the pump lately but I have not looked for it or noticed it.
Again thank you for all of the help and input. I only hear great things about this club and it's members.