Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Rising Sun member

7* BTDC is when the BB is right at the needle. Around here a lot of us run with the BB situated a lot closer to the edge of the window, which is about 11* BTDC, but I think people have an easier time with the vehicle passing at 7* BTDC even though it doesn't run as well. Remember to cap the vacuum hose to your distributor when you're setting the base timing. I'm not sure where people buy E85, but it's gotta be around with all the flex fuel vehicles running around...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Lifted

This may sound counter-intuitive but high HC levels are more likely caused by being too lean, as in a vacuum leak, than by being rich. Although being rich is a possibilty. There are a number of things that can contribute such as faulty/mistimed ignition, EGR dilution, oil getting past the rings, exhaust valves leaking and so on. I suggest you get your timing set and look for vacuum leaks. Changing your oil if it is old may help as well.

High CO is an indicator of a rich condition and you didn't say you had a problem with that so the E85 may very well compound your problem as it will cause you to be even leaner.

It would help us to diagnose what is going on if we knew what levels the other gases were at. Do you have those available?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

The added alcohol (to the fuel) provides a great deal of oxygen, which helps pre-EFI vehicles more completely burn the fuel, and lower HCs (and possibly other emissions).

For EFI vehicles (99% of what's on the road), the added alcohol lowers fuel economy and does nothing for emissions, because the oxygen sensor already adapts the fuel/air mix for optimum combustion. Some EFI vehicles' emissions can be improved with large quantities of alcohol, so it *can* work on later trucks as a 'get you past the e-test' trick.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Lifted

Adding oxygen to an engine that has a vacuum leak will make the situation worse. It may be just what he needs if his HC is high because it is rich but it's more likely it is high because of a vacuum leak. We really need to see the rest of the levels to know what's going on or your good intentions may make his situation worse.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Rock Stacker

The CO level @ 2500 RPM was 1.05, Idle @ .25 Limits 1.50. That was passing.
When I timed the engine I did not plug the vacuum line. Is it both lines going to the distributor that should be plugged? I think that I used a golf tee back in the day? In order to pass I would think that given the information on this post, I should have the timing with the BB close to the needle with the lines plugged. I also think that when I have it tested I will pull the choke out slightly, to give it a higher RPM. If those guys cant find a plug wire, they surely won't know what a choke is.
On finding a vacuum leak? Is the old method of spraying carb cleaner in areas while listening to the idle for change a valid way? I cannot remember what I was told to spray around potential leaks to find one.

Again thanks fo all of the help and suggestions.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

I don't know how all these additive-based tactics work, they always strike me as a weird approach, but when I take my 40 for emissions at the pre-81 emissions place at 37th and Federal, I set the mixture all the way lean and increase the idle to just under 1200. It breezes through no problem like that, but it reads too rich with the mixture and idle adjusted like they are supposed to be. I don't think I have any vaccum leaks though.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Rock Stacker

Well, took the Cruiser back in after running "Guaranteed to Pass" in the tank for a week. The HC at idle went down to 96.1 from 454. At 2500 RPM it tested at 42.5. I don't think the stuff worked that good. I really think that they made a mistake while testing. I adjusted my choke to increase the idle, which I think helped out. I will re-adjust the timing. I think that it was running better the way it was with the BB on the edge of the window.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Rising Sun member

so you passed though right?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Rock Stacker

yes i did!!!! Flying colors. Thank you all