Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Aussie Locker Install

So I have an Aussie locker and a stock 8" third member that need to be mated. I have no idea how to do that and can't seem to find a manual on their website anywhere. What the heck am up against and are there special tools? I understood this to be pretty simple but seems like I would have to remove bearings, pinion, etc. If the diff has to be disassembled, reset or shimmed then I don't see the advantage. I'd prefer not to have to replace the ring & pinion, bearings and all that.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

http://www.theoverlandescape.com/201...right-install/
TLCA#4180
Old 04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Holy cow that thread looks complicated! I put mine in my 40 under the truck on the garage floor. Basically just slide out the axle shafts far enought to remove the spider and side gears, remove these, replace with the Aussie locker, take a couple of measurements, replace the axle shafts, put the back cover back on...and you're good to go. Don't have to do anything with the R&P. Romer had a thread with pictures from years ago. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the Aussie install is really easy. I'll check around to see if I still have my instruction sheet.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 04-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Lifted

Is it a V6 or 4 cyl. diff? I'm going to set one up next weekend and you are welcome to bring it by and I'll help you with it. It's not bad at all but the directions are a little intimidating. You don't need to take any bearings off and no shimming, either. The pinion doesn't get touched but the ring gear may need to come off on the 4 cyl. carrier. I have only done V6 rears but a bunch of IFS fronts where you have to remove the ring gear, but still not a big deal. If the diff is removed it takes me about 45 minutes to install one and set everything back up, about 30 for a V6.

I should also warn you that probably 50% of the V6 carriers I've worked on were trashed by the side-gear on the passenger side. I don't know exactly what causes it but they look like some kind of grit gets in there and scores the heck out of the carrier. I've bought cores from Jim's and had to search his whole stash to find one that wasn't chewed up. I've never seen that with a 4 cyl. housing.

Nattybumppo, the 8" stuff you have to take the carrier out and split if it is a V6.

Last edited by Tommy the Cat; 04-01-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Plain old 8" 4-cylinder 4.10 solid axle third member (rear in this case). Just like it came off the boat except used. This is not installed in an axle yet.

Tom Cat - Awesome. Have to see if I can get up to Firestone, but I'm sure gonna try like heck.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Lifted

I'll be home Wednesday through Monday night so anytime in there works for me. I possess all the tools and knowledge you require and I like doing that stuff. Just give me a heads up if your swinging up so I can make sure I'm around.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

My daughter had an 85 4runner with a lock right, and there were some differences between that and LC applications. For one thing, the c-clips are not in the diff, they are out by the brake backing plates. To slide the axles out you unbolt the brake backing plates from the axle housing. Another thing that was different was the cross pin is held in with a roll pin instead of a threaded bolt.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Lifted

The IFS 7.5 is also held in by a roll pin. Do you remember if you had to remove the ring gear to get it inside the case? All of the IFS lockers I have done I had to but they have all been 4.56-5.29.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

I did not have to remove the ring gear. Hers was a 4.10 IIRC.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ring gear definitely had to be removed on a stock 4 cylinder diff. There was no way to get the cross pin out otherwise. We found that the carrier had to be filed to fit the locker through the webbing, the casting was just a little too small.

I was also reading this Tom, looks like we were supposed to put back in the side thrust shims, which we did not install. I'm assuming this is why the locker springs and pins seemed too short...

http://www.gearinstalls.com/aussielocker.htm

Good thing I ran out of time yesterday and never got it installed, since it has to be pulled apart. I might just clean up that other diff and just skip the locker route. I was hoping to get the axle assembled today or tomorrow since Sunday is the target day to swap them.