Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
In the spirit of clarity, when you say "on board welding" are we still talking about welding something onto the actual truck? Or are you talking about firing up your Mobi Arc out on the trail?
Yes.
The latter as an illustration of worst case of the former. Or in my case, Premier PowerWelder.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Not by a mobi arc or the like, But I have personally seen a ecu fried by smaw to the frame. of course, that involved ac and a stuck rod and an idiot, but none the less.
Details!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutbeer View Post
Reminds me of a "funny" story. Back in the day, we had a history of tackling HUGE amounts of fab projects for club members the weeks leading up to GSMTR. We often took the whole week off in anticipation of the event, though the weekend before was always welding up something new and crazy into the wee hours of the night. Last time I remember doing one of these all-nighters, we decided to get the fab guy's truck up and running. It was a spring over, it was late....welding clamp went on the frame, made a few welds for some linkage mounts, then decided to weld on the rear axle. Neither of us remembered to move the grounding clamp to the axle. Well, short story, the braided SS brake line became the ground...and it lit on FIRE. He threw in the towel for the night after that, and I'm not sure he ever got the truck running either.
I'm laughing because I did the same exact thing on the Blue Mule when I first got it, thought the whole truck was gonna go up in flames!
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I've always been too lazy to disconnect ECU's, etc and I have welded tons of stuff on my new diesel truck and everything in between and have never damaged an ECU (knock on wood).
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

only thing I have actually seen is an alternator quit working. that may have been coincidence. It was after not disconnecting anything on a truck and having a muffler shop go at it.
82 FJ40
Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I would NOT disconnect the battery... it acts as a clamping device. Think, capacitor. Shunts spikes to some degree.
YMMV.
Yep. Leave the battery connected. Every pro I've ever asked has recommended it for the reason Bill gave above. I use a surge protector on the battery as well. It may be snake oil, but it makes me feel better about things (like the ECU) in case my ground is compromised for some reason.

Here's the SP I use: http://www.otctools.com/products/antizap_auto_surge_protector

If you look around, you can find them under $70 on occasion. I never had any trouble before I used one, but I have an ECU and a decent stereo to worry about now, and I like to worry. Ask Air Randy...

BJ

Last edited by bgoodheart; 04-10-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
only thing I have actually seen is an alternator quit working. that may have been coincidence. It was after not disconnecting anything on a truck and having a muffler shop go at it.

Muffler shops are notorious for less than stellar grounds. They seem to be a recurring theme in most stories about fried components during welding.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I've always welded without anything special other than grinding a shiny spot for the ground clamp near where the work is being welded. Just did some rust repair to my 60 on Sunday. When I get her back from the paint shop I will be welding sliders on.

Main main thought process when welding on my rigs is just thinking about the current path. As long as there isn't anything sensitive in the current path then there's nothing to worry about.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodheart View Post
Yep. Leave the battery connected. Every pro I've ever asked has recommended it for the reason Bill gave above. I use a surge protector on the battery as well. It may be snake oil, but it makes me feel better about things (like the ECU) in case my ground is compromised for some reason.

Here's the SP I use: http://www.otctools.com/products/ant...surge_protector

If you look around, you can find them under $70 on occasion. I never had any trouble before I used one, but I have an ECU and a decent stereo to worry about now, and I like to worry. Ask Air Randy...

BJ
True Dat but better safe than sorry eh?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodheart View Post
I got all excited but got a 404 on your link...

Aha... fixed. Missing 'r'.
http://www.otctools.com/products/ant...urge_protector

Found this source for it too:
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool.../OTC-3386.html

The Sears version of it must be pretty darn special. Wonder if they sell a lot of those?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6123743107P

Hmmm... different unit. Attractive pricing. I bet it has nothing more than a bunch of MOVs and such.
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...protector.html
KDRCH
Bio Page