Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Rising Sun member

Default stainless steel brake hoses?

So I got some of these to replace my sketchy-looking I believe OEM brake hoses, and found that they are all long. I was warned about this, and the axle to wheel hoses aren't bad, I'm fine with them, but the body to front axle hose, which was 7" stock, is 16" long . The OEM body to rear axle hose is 14" with the stainless one being 16" so I'm sure that one will be okay, but even though it's an aftermarket kit I would think that the front would be kinda close ? Anybody else install stainless steel hoses (I got these from SOR) and run into the same problem? I horseshoed mine over by the diff to keep it away from the tire, but I'm going to call those guys tomorrow and try to get the skinny on it.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

i've got stainless on mine...picked them up at aai speed shop.
ige tlca #1431
Old 07-14-2006, 04:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
So I got some of these to replace my sketchy-looking I believe OEM brake hoses, and found that they are all long. I was warned about this, and the axle to wheel hoses aren't bad, I'm fine with them, but the body to front axle hose, which was 7" stock, is 16" long . The OEM body to rear axle hose is 14" with the stainless one being 16" so I'm sure that one will be okay, but even though it's an aftermarket kit I would think that the front would be kinda close ? Anybody else install stainless steel hoses (I got these from SOR) and run into the same problem? I horseshoed mine over by the diff to keep it away from the tire, but I'm going to call those guys tomorrow and try to get the skinny on it.

Longer is good! You have and will be modifing your suspension and gaining both wheel travel and distance between axle and frame, longer is better than pulled apart! If you have issues of the line getting to close to the tire or hanging down try some rearangement of the steel lines or you can also get creative with springs just make sure you account for wear of the spring on the brake hose! The front one does sound excessively long however as 9" longer than stock is wishfull thinking as far as wheel travel goes!

NOTE; AAI (what Ige referanced) is a great shop and they can make up any custom length you need if they don't have it in stock!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-14-2006, 05:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

I used factory (rubber) hoses when I put my lift on - used a rear line for the front and it ran in a spiral - want a pic?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Rising Sun member

Sure TJ, I'll take a pic of mine once I get my camera from Golden this weekend too and see if anybody else would be worried about it.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 07-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Rising Sun member

So does anybody think this will be an issue? It's above the diff, I *think* far enough away from the pinion not to be a problem, but
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Make a small loop and secure it to itself with a plastic quick tie to take up the slack.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Old 07-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Based on the fact you have 9 inches of slack the loop should be 3 inches or less in diameter (circumference divided by pi).

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Old 07-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah, I was going to suggest what Ian said (without the math). Twist a loop in it then put a zip tie around it. You've already got it bled, should be able to do with it already installed.

Oh, and on the run this weekend make sure I'm behind you.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Rising Sun member

Actually I didn't have them bled yet, so it was easier to put the loop in it . And don't worry Tim, my truck now stops faster than ever since I got my two last rear wheel cylinders (that were frozen) spinning and basically adjusted so it's tight. My handbrake still doesn't work the way I think it's supposed to, so I'll have to investigate that further. Anyway here's current pics:
Attached Images