Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default 2012 CM Wrenching Sessions

The first wrenching session is in the bag and done. There are three more on the calendar between now and Cruise Moab. Overall, we got through the work that we planned and then some. Rigs are in better shape than they were on Friday, everyone learned something new and it was fun to talk trucks, life while watching sparks and turning wrenches. The accomplishments of the first weekends work activity include:

BGOODHEART
  • Front end clunk diagnosis; inspected the front end no issues found that would account for the intermittent clunk.
  • Removed splash guards front and rear
  • We had planned to extend tail pile hanger as current position would be hit by rear spring at full flex. Upon closer examination, determined that suspension flexes a long way and there is not enough play in the pipes to extend the hanger far enough. After considering the options, we resolved the issue by cutting the tail pipe to clear the springs all together.
  • Welded four bracket assemblies to a hold high lift jack. The brackets can also be used to support a platform shelf.

Bigcity25
  • Engine compression check; cylinder 3 is at 115 (not terrible considering it recently ingested a nut) and all the rest 135-139.
  • Checked timing, found it to be less than 7. Reset to 12 degrees BTDC.
  • Fabricated a stud to hold the air cleaner cover to the carburetor.
  • Inspected rear driveshaft and pinions, found pinion nut and parking brake drum nut to be finger tight. Tightened them up and rtv'd the splines coming out the back of the t-case.
  • "Loose steering" diagnosis; inspected the front end and found alignment was toed out. We adjusted the alignment to .25" tow in.

surffj62
  • Oil change and sea foam
  • Welded a bracket which keeps the bumper from opening far enough to bump the tail lights. Eliminated free play at the latch when bumper halves are closed.
  • Rotated the tires
  • Inspected the brakes, found front pads to be in need of replacement - replaced them
  • Bled the brakes
  • Inspected the front end alignment; found it to be equal distance both front and rear; adjusted alignment to .25" tow in.

nattybumpo
  • Built up a 4.11 third with an ARB

RicardoJM
  • Oil change

AirRandy
  • Installed an air hose reel
  • Painted Dee's race car
TLCA #18941
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Pictures are from Saturday to my knowledge no photos were taken on Sunday.

TLCA #18941
Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Randy;

Where does Dee race and when?
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

First race of the season is March 31/April 1 at High Plains Raceway. We also race at PPIR in Fountain, Pueblo Motorsports Park, LaJunta and Hastings, Nebraska.

15 races in the season, she drives in the non-points races and I drive during the points races.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Wow, what a busy weekend.

Sascha started his H55F install into his FJ60 Friday evening and finished it up Saturday night. He did it almost all by himself and it went very smoothly.

Mark converted his V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB, and installed new 5.29 gears into this diff and a second diff with a detroit locker. He is now a journeyman gear installer, start making your reservations now for gear changes!

twmatheson - 87 FJ60 full front axle service-Ricardo pitched in and got this done

TonkaToy - Early yellow FJ40 with a straight 6 tune up-did a compression check, timing & carb adjust and diagnosed a faulty heater motor

bruegee - carb and adjust valves 85 FJ60-Done

Jaderunner - 4runner bumper work -Done!

Old40Dog - 80 series front wheel bearings-Dave & Evan knocked this out

FJBrady - diff fluid change X2, overall visual inspection,-Yes sports fans, Steve Brady actually did the work and actually got his hands dirty. We are so proud of our newest wrencher

73COCruiser - FJ40 w/ V8 tuning-Evan-thanks for helping everyone out for the day, glad we were able to diagnose your engine noise as just and old fuel pump that needs removed. You certainly win the prize for the hardiest participant driving your topless 40 down on a very cool day. We hope to see you again at more events.

It seems like there were a few more rigs we did carb adjustments on, timing checks, etc but it all starts to blur together.................

Overall it was a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. Thanks to the club for buying the pizza & soda. Thanks to all who provided the brewski's.

Going forward WE NEED HELP! We REALLY need the rest of you Rising Sun gearheads to come out to the shop and help mentor the new folks through their maintenance and repairs. You don't need to be an expert, just someone who is handy with a wrench, has a little experience and wants to help out.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Wow, what a busy weekend.

FJBrady - diff fluid change X2, overall visual inspection,-Yes sports fans, Steve Brady actually did the work and actually got his hands dirty. We are so proud of our newest wrencher
Tru that, dude got skilz

______
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Mark converted his V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB, and installed new 5.29 gears into this diff and a second diff with a detroit locker. He is now a journeyman gear installer, start making your reservations now for gear changes!

Going forward WE NEED HELP! We REALLY need the rest of you Rising Sun gearheads to come out to the shop and help mentor the new folks through their maintenance and repairs. You don't need to be an expert, just someone who is handy with a wrench, has a little experience and wants to help out.
LOL! I've seen one and "done" one, but I don't think I'm quite ready for "teach" one... It is kind of fun, though, and certainly not mysterious enough to pay a shop a bunch of money to do. I can't thank Randy enough for his help, served up with just the right level of public humiliation to make you remember the lessons. Seriously, though, thanks!!

He's not kidding when he says they need help. There's a ton of work to do, and not enough folks to do it. I've looked at the list of jobs for session #3 and, though I don't claim any particular expertise in any of them, I'll plan to be there either day, or both. I can run a grinder, keep one side from running off with the other side's tools , fetch parts, or whatever.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

A really busy weekend of maintenance, upgrades and hanging out. I did not get a single picture taken, so this thread will be very light on photos. It was nice to meet the new people and we had plenty of familiar faces there as well.

There are two more weekends coming up. If you are going to Cruise Moab and have maintenance/upgrade work, I would encourage you to find a time that works and get on the schedule. If you need to repack your bearings, get on the schedule. We have not had to turn anyone away, but if we do get into a packed situation - we will give priority to CM participants and wheel bearings.

I definately feel that additional help is needed. With so many things going on, both Randy and I were spread thin at times. I will keep the first post of each session updated with what is going on and if you see something where you can be a buddy/mentor please post up so that we can pair people up. While you might think this is applicable to newbees - even experienced people would benefit from having a buddy. Even if all the buddy does is feed tools, move the air hoses around, clean parts - it will move things along better.
TLCA #18941
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

A huge shout out to Ricardo for organizing this and for Randy to give up his time and sweet shop for all this. Randy, was on his back cutting, grinding and welding on my receiver for about 3 hours. What a guy and he did a super job on something I really wanted done for years now.

I did learn to understand his dry sense of humor which was pretty humorous. And he called my rig a fat 80 once. He was serious and truly didn't even register that it was a 4runner. Pretty funny I guess.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
A huge shout out to Ricardo for organizing this and for Randy to give up his time and sweet shop for all this. Randy, was on his back cutting, grinding and welding on my receiver for about 3 hours. What a guy and he did a super job on something I really wanted done for years now.

I did learn to understand his dry sense of humor which was pretty humorous. And he called my rig a fat 80 once. He was serious and truly didn't even register that it was a 4runner. Pretty funny I guess.
What can I say? If it isn't something obvious like a 40,55, or 60, they all look the same to me. 80, 100, 4runner, no difference