Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Speaking of my thread in the wanted section

What do you guys and gals think about 4 tire vs. 5 tire rotations? Which do you guys do? We're assuming you have 4 tires plus the spare, cause I know somebody will make some sort of wise crack Cheers everybody
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Alright I'll go. I rotate 5-

- spare goes to the LF, LF goes to LR, LR goes to RF, RF goes to RR, and RR goes to spare -

I do it every oil change, 2x per year (~3500 miles). I think it's important with an AWD vehicle that all tires be as close to the same OD as possible. That, and I wanted to stretch the total mileage of my set of tires, so every 6 months one of them gets to take a break and ride in back.

Equal size less of an issue with you disengable front axle folk, but IMO there's no excuse for not having a good spare, especially on a car that you take places where you can't just call AAA.

And one last benefit: when you rotate 5 you're guaranteed that your spare actually fits your vehicle. Who's ever been with somone who gets a flat then realizes their spare doesn't fit?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

My spare is a tire left over from the last set of four. Its worn out and is mounted on a narrow OE rim. The only time the spare will be used is if I have a flat. Thay leaves me with a set of 4 to rotate. When the fronts start to look like the outer corners are wearing too much, they go in back.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have done 5 tyre rotation for the last couple decades, works extremely well. Rotate every other oil change = every 5k miles. Identical rims, identical tyres, they all last longer and whatever you put on to fix a flat is exactly the same as what you took off. One time I blew up a sidewall and rim on Hackett Rock, I bought 2 new rims and tyres for the rear so that my lockright would be even. Since then, I've been doing a 4 tyre rotation on the remaining 3 older ones, the new ones are now approximately even amonst all 6 tyres.

Rotation schedule is: Spare to left front, left front to right front, right front to left rear, left rear to right rear, right rear to spare.

Given that, I have an "extra" 31x10.5 BFG M/T mounted on a 6 on 5.5 white steel spoker you might be interested in Bob. Approximately .25" (current) out of .65" (new) tread remaining. Trade for a case of Shiner?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I rotate every oil change as well. I decided to only do a 4 tire rotation on this set of tires. Fronts go straight back rears cross over to opposite side front. I get them balanced at the same time. Have 10k on the TREXUS M/T's now...they are wearing pretty good for being so aggresive a tread, I'm very surprized!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Rising Sun member

I guess I'll put in input from my buddie's experience. He does a five tire rotation. But instead of just scheduling them, he measures the tread depth on all tires and moves the spare to the one with the shortest tread depth. Thought it was interesting. So I'm taking it that there's not problems with swapping the rotation direction of the tire? A long time ago, when I was really young (just young now :p ) I heard that tires can blow up if swapped from side to side too often.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
I guess I'll put in input from my buddie's experience. He does a five tire rotation. But instead of just scheduling them, he measures the tread depth on all tires and moves the spare to the one with the shortest tread depth. Thought it was interesting. So I'm taking it that there's not problems with swapping the rotation direction of the tire? A long time ago, when I was really young (just young now :p ) I heard that tires can blow up if swapped from side to side too often.

The early radials did have some belt shifting problems. Haven't heard of a modern radial having belt shifting problems in quite some time.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default fronts to back at oil changes

I only change oil at 5,000 mile intervals. I have directional tread so fronts to back, back to front at that time. 2 floor jacks and I don't go under the car.