Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default I got pulled over yesterday because my suspension is modified

**I posted this on CO4x4 last night, but thought you guys would find it interesting, as well.**

I'm doing the speed limit on 285 approaching Bailey from the west, and I see a state cop wheel around behind me. He (Officer C.J. Donahue, emp #1892) tells me that he pulled me over because "it's illegal to modify a vehicle's suspension in the state of Colorado." I mentioned that it was, but that that section of the code was declared unconstitutional in the 70's, he said I was wrong. More than that, he said I need to trailer my 4Runner. We had a nice conversation and he didn't give me a ticket, but he did basically tell me I'm a menace in his opinion and that he pulls vehicles like mine over all the time. He did make a comment that if I had enough money to have a rig like this, then I had enough money to trailer it. What's my income, or lack of it, got to do with anything?

He brought his big thick law book up and sure enough, showed me section 42-4-233 that was struck down in 1973. He didn't leave it in front of me long enough to see whether his copy showed the annotation that LexisNexis does. (http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext...s-main.htm&2.0)

So what do I need to do/carry so I can drive my perfectly legal vehicle up and down 285, which I need to do a lot?

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

some cops are just dead set on being dicks. chances are you won't convince him otherwise.

i had an argument with an officer when i was in illinois. i was driving with my w/s down and had motorcycle glasses on. he tried to bust me for no w/s. i pointed out i had one and that the it was in working order and i had eye protection... the law didn't say any more than that was required. he also didn't give me a ticket (if he could prove it was illegal, he would've...i think it's a tactic). i thought of complaining to his supervisor, but i spent a lot of time in that area.
ige tlca #1431
Old 07-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon
some cops are just dead set on being dicks. chances are you won't convince him otherwise.
Well put. I'd rather be in a lifted, capable 4x4 than a low rider monte carlo, as far as being pulled over, if you know what I mean.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
**I posted this on CO4x4 last night, but thought you guys would find it interesting, as well.**
He brought his big thick law book up and sure enough, showed me section 42-4-233 that was struck down in 1973. He didn't leave it in front of me long enough to see whether his copy showed the annotation that LexisNexis does. (http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext...s-main.htm&2.0)

So what do I need to do/carry so I can drive my perfectly legal vehicle up and down 285, which I need to do a lot?
Your link does not resolve for me- could you repost it? Be sure to use the hyperlink icon in 'advanced'...

If the law was struck down...
As far as what you need to do, just ask him to please write the ticket, you would like to pursue it to clarify the issue and that you appreciate his service to the community. Be real careful with the tone of voice so it doesn't sound the least bit sarcastic.

He will walk away... I bet he beats his wife, too. The man has control issues. But if it is merely ignorance, you will do him the service of education- in court, in front of a judge and a DA, whom he will not like seeing again, if it even gets THAT far.

It's a more respectful way of using that time honored quote from Wyatt Earp, in the excellent movie Tombstone:
Quote:
Throw DOWN, boy.
You might consider filing a complaint for intimidation... this ain't Sadaam's Iraq last I checked.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

bill,
I have told you time and time again, you need to put your "w", as well as your anti hillary stickers back on that truck, so you don't get mis-identified or wrongly profiled....

Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yes, well, i have an answer for you. You were near Bailey. I'm from there, and the cops are not the nicest, nor the most professional. You have to consider that the Park County Sherrif's Office is not attracting the officers who graduated at the top of their respective acadamy classes, but rather closer to the bottom.

Sorry that you had to go through that, my mom once got pulled over in my truck for going too slow up Crow Hill. The officer says "Ma'am, you cannot go 40 mph in a 50 zone"

Glad you didn't get a ticket.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
The suspension statute is 42-4-233, but was it actually repealed by the state Assembly? I do see that it was ruled unconstitutional in 1973 because it was not specific enough, but it says the law was amended in 1975.
Dave,
Where are you accessing all of these statutes? Just curious.
Matt
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa
Well put. I'd rather be in a lifted, capable 4x4 than a low rider monte carlo, as far as being pulled over, if you know what I mean.
I dont, please explain.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr
I dont, please explain.
A low rider Monte Carlo might be more likely seen "cruising" Federal Blvd and flaunting many other laws than a lifted, capable 4x4. As such, the occupants may be given more of a runaround by law enforcement authorities, based on vehicle profiling.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa
A low rider Monte Carlo might be more likely seen "cruising" Federal Blvd and flaunting many other laws than a lifted, capable 4x4. As such, the occupants may be given more of a runaround by law enforcement authorities, based on vehicle profiling.
dude, that's filled with so many connotations and stereotypes, even I will leave it alone.

j