Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Village idiot question

So, we are somewhat settled into the new place and the sprinkler system has me stymied. Box is set to run but they aren't coming on. What happens when you winterize a sprinkler system? Is there a water shutoff somewhere that I need to turn back on?

..:: Sent from my iPhone ::..
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

You will almost certainly have a shutoff above the manifold to the sprinkler system. I have one inside the house too. That is, we tapped the house water and ran it outside the house and at the point where it goes outside we put a valve that we shut off in the winter. Then outside we have a manifold right before it goes underground to the various circuits for the house. That manifold, on mine, has two valves that can be closed.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Lifted

If the water is on and making it to the manifold it could be the way your controller is set up. I just got done fighting with mine. The directions are terrible and very poorly worded. What controller do you have?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Trail Ready

Winterizing basically means blowing compressed air through the whole system so no water can freeze and break the pipes (tubes). And yes, that happens after the water to the system has been shut-off.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
If the water is on and making it to the manifold it could be the way your controller is set up. I just got done fighting with mine. The directions are terrible and very poorly worded. What controller do you have?
It's a Hunter. Going out to take a look at it in just a few.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ok, so there's a tag on a valve outside that says the system had been winterized by so and so plumbing and not to remove the tag. Is it safe to assume that I can cut the tag and just turn the valve back on? Sorry, yard work has never been my thing...
Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
Ok, so there's a tag on a valve outside that says the system had been winterized by so and so plumbing and not to remove the tag. Is it safe to assume that I can cut the tag and just turn the valve back on? Sorry, yard work has never been my thing...
You can remove the tag. Before turning the water back on, close the drain valves. Each system can be a bit differrent, but the following valves are pretty common:
  • Manifold drain valve - typically the manifold is in a box and at the end there is a valve.
  • Backflow Preventer valves - the BPV is a copper/brass bell shaped thing, typically there are two valves.

You also may have ball valves on the pipes going to/from the BPV, open them up.

On my system I have a drain cap at the main water supply from the house.

Basically follow the line from the water supply at the house all the way to the manifold and make sure each valve is open so that water will make it to the manifold and each drain is closed so water does not escape the system.

When you turn the water on it will pressurize the system and you will see some draining from the bell portion of the BPV. This is normal.

Worst case, you missed a drain or have a leak - in that case turn the water supply off. Grab your neigbor (the one that looks handy around the house), introduce yourself and tell them that your internet buddys tried but failed to help you - I'm sure he'll make sure you get through the process just fine.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 05-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Lifted

Mine is a Hunter EC. Like I said, I'm not sure what language was native to the person who wrote the manual but I had a hard time understanding what they were driving at. But after a few days of experimenting I have it pretty well figured out. If you have trouble once you get the water on I can probably walk you through the controller set up.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

coolest. thanks. so far everything is looking good.

thanks everyone for your input.