Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bill - yes - Ford paint is crap and my synthetic oil changes are $80. The 7.3 isn't perfect, but most of its problems are known and understood. The 6.0s suffer a myriad of problems, most of which are expensive to fix. If anyone chipped the truck, it was almost for sure to suffer blown headgaskets. The oil coolers and EGR systems are chronically bad, resulting in engine failure. The variable vane turbos tend to clog with soot unless you run the truck hard. Chronic fuel injector and HPOP problems, requiring thousands of dollars to fix. For $8K, there's a shop in AZ that will 'go through' the engine and fix/replace/remove all the evil parts and replace with new. Some argue that if you find a 6.0 and the OASIS report (Ford's in-house tracking system for a vehicle) is clean, then you might be ok. In many farm state areas, dealers will not take 6.0s in trade - at all. I have met MANY 6.0 owners who have implored me to keep my 7.3 and wish they had done so with theirs. You will meet folks with totally reliable 6.0s, and disasterous 7.3s - so YMMV. www.ford-trucks.com has forums for this stuff.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wouldn't give up my Duramax for anything. 95 thousand trouble free miles.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

A friend here at work confirmed the Duramax with Allison tranny is trouble free - except, maybe, the turbo system which can be expensive. Still, he would go Chevy even though he is a 7.3 Powerstroke fan. I see the PSs started using powdered metal rods in 2001... then the 6.0... then got much much better around 2008.

Dunno. But thank for the Duramax comments, that puts it on the screen and maybe the head of the pack. So why the heck are Dodges so popular (and commonplace) with their issues?

:popcorn:
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Lifted

My $0.02:
I bought a 5.7 Tundra to pull my 40. Good on gas and plenty of power for a V8. Has a pretty good payload and can pull over 10K. I like the big 1 ton diesels but I'm not pulling around flatbed trailers with tractors on them either so its a little overkill for me.
KD0WJN
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill, I have owned both Dodge and Ford. I bought the Dodge new in 1995, drove it for work and light towing. The breaks were the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned, I think that the auto had a lot to do with that as it would pull hard to a stop. Dodge was the worst service provider I have ever had and I will never own a new Dodge again, when I went to them with a problem like having to rev the engine to get it to go into reverse, they said "that is the way it was designed" and would do nothing to help, just one example, there were more. The Ford is a 1999 F-350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke, I bought it used in 2010 with 120K on it, it had cold start and CPS issues but I soon chipped it with a user programable setup so I can change the programing when and if I make modifications, it has different tow settings and runs like BOH. The tranny issue is easy to deal with if you catch it before you hurt it, add a cooler!! and I installed a manual torque convertor lockup switch on it to help with cooling. From what I have been told it is the torque convertor that goes and takes out the tranny, I have bought a billet convertor with a triple disk lockup and will be installing it soon.. The axles on mine are off of an 04 with manual hubs and disks on all 4, the breaks are fantastic and there is no problem going with bigger tires with the manual hubs.. Anyhow, I LOVE my PS 7.3 and I think it will last me a very long time...

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Dodge

I will chime in about the Dodge. I had a 2004.5 (at the mid-year they upgraded the engine with piston cooling nozzles and more torque) and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Mine was a 2500 3/4 ton crew cab, Laramie model with all options.
Early models had brake issues, I replaced my brakes at 100k, and they still had meat. Tires lasted 75k. I had a 16 ft enclosed trailer and a car hauler plus a 28 ft Airstream that I towed regularly. At 100 k I had valves adusted, other than that, no issues. I used this truck regularly in Crested Butte, towing at 10,000 feet elevation with no power issues.

I sold it to my son along with the car hauler and he is using it to tow his 4Runner. He is very happy with the truck with 140k on the clock now.

I have heard later models had emissions issues, but if you can find a 2004.5 or newer with the 5.9 engine, you will be happy. Cummins builds a great engine. Cummins recommend overhaul at 300k.

At 65 mph (auto trans) and not towing, I would get 21mpg. Towing a heavy rig, I would get 13-15 mpg. Hope this helps. Terry

One more thing - The Dodge has a heated intake manifold, not glow-plugs, and it always started in very cold temps. Not so with Fords. That is one reason you see so many in Colorado. T
Attached Images

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"

Last edited by ttubb; 05-07-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCo40 View Post
My $0.02:
I bought a 5.7 Tundra to pull my 40. Good on gas and plenty of power for a V8. Has a pretty good payload and can pull over 10K. I like the big 1 ton diesels but I'm not pulling around flatbed trailers with tractors on them either so its a little overkill for me.
I'm thinking
1) longevity (ok, toyota vs. diesel, meh, same same),
2) crew or at least generous extra cab,
3) torque for a truck camper (wind resistance) + flat towing, and mileage while doing it to boot.

That kinda adds up to a diesel, no?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfj View Post
bill, I Have Owned Both Dodge And Ford. ... It Had Cold Start And Cps Issues But I Soon Chipped It With A User Programable Setup So I Can Change The Programing When And If I Make Modifications, It Has Different Tow Settings And Runs Like Boh. ...anyhow, I Love My Ps 7.3 And I Think It Will Last Me A Very Long Time...
Cps?

[edit] ah... crank position sensor. Google reveals all.
KDěRCH
Bio Page

Last edited by Red_Chili; 05-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
I will chime in about the Dodge. I had a 2004.5 ...
I have heard later models had emissions issues, but if you can find a 2004.5 or newer with the 5.9 engine, you will be happy.
I was waiting for a Mopar perspective. OK, so 2004.5 to ???
So the 6.7L has emissions issues, is that what you are saying? What are they? Did you also add a tranny cooler?

I need a long bed*. Gonna be a long truck.

This is fun, hearin' you guys pimp yer rides.

*(camper room inside, room for a dog grooming table and kennels inside. Lise's dad had a cramped truck camper so she is gunshy about cramped. I really appreciate her willingness to compromise - a truck camper means I can flat tow or bring dirt bikes.)
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bill I researched this all very well 3 years ago and all of the big three have/had there problems. I had decided on a Duramax for the most part when I drove to Moab with Randy in his 07.5 Dodge 6.7. I was very impressed with the power and the stock exhaust brake. Uphill with camper and truck at 70 mph and downhill at 65 without using he brakes. I bought one a few weeks later.

Dodges used to be crappy on the inside but have gotten much nicer. You can also check with Gary W. he had an 07 and bought a 2012 that is awesome.

You need to look for he years that will fit your budget and research the years you can afford, best advice I can give you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me