Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote - "So the 6.7L has emissions issues, is that what you are saying? What are they? Did you also add a tranny cooler?

I need a long bed*. Gonna be a long truck.

This is fun, hearin' you guys pimp yer rides. "

I did not have a tranny cooler (mine was an auto) and I am not certain when they went from 5.8 to the 6.7 engine. I do know that the later engines did have some early emissions issues that involved tweaks to the ECM, but I do not think they were persistant problems. I know at the time I was researching my purchase, Ford was total trouble (FORD = Found On Road Dead - was the joke). Hope this helps.

One other thing, on the forums I subscibed to at the time, lots of folks were using boxes that modified the ECM (Bully Dog, etc) on Ford, Chevy and Dodge and many were having reliability problems. I would avoid one that has been "chipped" at all costs. Just my take...T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, the ideal truck will have been one driven by an older gentleman who went camping and fishing a few times a year... especially if already set up for a camper.

NOT one with big tires and a chip.

I came across a couple Powerstrokes today that were older and close to my price but with ~20K miles (!!!). Of course, they were LONG gone...

I just need to work out the numbers with the credit union and be ready to pounce. If anyone wants a line on a very clean Starcraft 10 R/T lemme know.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Bill I researched this all very well 3 years ago and all of the big three have/had there problems. I had decided on a Duramax for the most part when I drove to Moab with Randy in his 07.5 Dodge 6.7.
OK, Randy's Dodge is nice, but why over the Duramax?
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I just need to work out the numbers with the credit union and be ready to pounce. If anyone wants a line on a very clean Starcraft 10 R/T lemme know.
Does it have the front deck like the Coleman E2? If so, how many motorcycles would fit on it? I remember going in there once in Ouray to use the microwave, was very nice...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

No, the 10 R/T is the one without a deck (or I would be SORELY tempted to keep it as the bigger one also has a shower and that would solve our issues). The Chili would struggle a bit to haul the bigger R/T series. They are quite rugged with a square tube frame rather than C channel, and that means they will last longer on rough roads, but that means they are a bit heavier too.

Mine is the top of the line with all options (double LPG tank cover, privacy curtains, an exterior 110-volt outlet, manual fold-down double entry step, 15-inch spare tire and wheel, a 12-volt Fantastic roof vent fan, and sand pads on the stabilizer jacks, electric brakes, 16,000-BTU furnace, an RVQ carry-out gas grill that attaches to the side of the trailer, and aluminum wheels.) The awning was not terribly well designed and I have removed it.

Really great beds. The queen on one end is nice.

Here is a good review:
http://www.campinglife.com/rv-and-tr...arcraft-10-rt/

Pic:

KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

What's that worth on the pre-loved market Bill?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well, per NADA I see numbers that pretty much match ads I've seen recently...
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2006/S...dard-Equipment
Quote:
Pricing
Suggested List Price Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price: $8,526 $3,900 $4,700
TOTAL PRICE $8,526 $4,910 $5,925
It is super clean in excellent condition, 2006.

Oh, and I added a receiver in the rear for a bike rack...
EDIT: OOPS! Misstated the year. It is actually a 2004. Not that that makes any difference, but truth in disclosure and that sort of thing...
KDěRCH
Bio Page

Last edited by Red_Chili; 05-09-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

That's a great camper for someone with a cruiser or runner. small enough to tow yet big enough to stay in. I would have bought that in a heartbeat if I didn't have my E1. IMHO there is really nothing on the market that is a 10ft box with no deck like that. I also really liked the fan in the roof. It kept it cooler. I almost had one before I bought my e1 but i was second in line.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Roughly $5.5K, just curious.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Lower to RS members.
[edit] Corbet is first in line.
KDěRCH
Bio Page

Last edited by Red_Chili; 05-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.