Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Adding receiver hitch to popup camper for motorcycle hauling

Thread title pretty much says it all.. the wheels are turning regarding adding a receiver hitch to my camper. It's a 2006 Coleman Santa Fe... so not exactly Jayco Baja or Fleetwood E-2 in terms of frame size. The frame is 2 pieces of 2x3 rectangle, probably .125" in thickness, running lengthwise about 5' apart. Between the frame rails is some C-channel stretched across every 4' or so, probably helps keep the frame from twisting, supports the plywood above it, then not much else.

The existing back bumper isn't much stouter - another C channel, 3" tall, feels like .080" thick but it may be .100" on a good day with a dirty caliper. It's obviously not a part of the long-term solution.

My biggest worry is I create something that totally supports the bike, but just rips apart the rest of the camper frame. Though I'm trying to picture a catastrophic failure and maybe it's nbd.. I will post some pictures later, but curious if anyone's done this?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Didn't Red Chili say that he added a receiver to his popup? In the diesel thread? I think he did so he might be a good source for info although I'm not sure what the difference is in structure between a Coleman and a Starcraft camper...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah I saw that, thanks Jeff... what are you doing over here, anyway?

difference is his Starcraft is more like a Cruiser frame. The Coleman is more like a HF utility trailer.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Yeah I saw that, thanks Jeff... what are you doing over here, anyway?
Daydreaming
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bad idea Nak. You will develop a sway that will terrify you. The whole thing will become ungodly unstable.

DAMHIK ...
Even a bike rack exposed some impending sway due to a large drop ball mount in my case. I got quite an education!

You can cut and lengthen your frame and create a rail mount...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I was going to say you will not have enough tongue weight with motorcycles on it and you'll get ridiculous sway that could cause a serious accident. you would need to cut and add a deck. Even so you still need to figure out if you will have enough tongue weight without it being too much and out of balance. You'd probably be better off finding a camper with a deck on it, JMHO.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I already added a rail mount up front for Gavin's bike. seems like with that, and a second propane, I keep adding tongue weight. I could see shifting the small bike to the back, then the big bike up front, but still feel I have more tongue weight than anything.

I've also got a receiver tray that could be used to move some concrete around, for testing purposes..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Here's a thought... take the box off the frame... build a proper tube or box frame of your desired length... with deck... and place a heavier duty axle and leaves under it after determining oh, say, 60/40 front-rear load bias, laden. Just temp mount the axle till you have the sweet spot nailed.

And there you have it. Nakspedition style.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Here's a thought... take the box off the frame... build a proper tube or box frame of your desired length... with deck... and place a heavier duty axle and leaves under it after determining oh, say, 60/40 front-rear load bias, laden. Just temp mount the axle till you have the sweet spot nailed.

And there you have it. Nakspedition style.
I have considered that, really. I get the 60/40 split on load ahead of the axle, but there's a hard limit on tongue weight of say, 500 pounds? Which includes everything else up there. I think 2 guys should be able to lift the trailer off the ball...

I find it curious though how much these types of toy haulers vary. Here's one with the camper in front of both axles. How is that even maintaining close to 60/40 with and without 3 ATV's?
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3001371439.html

Here's the other extreme: no tongue weight at all until you add the bikes:
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/2996807292.html

maybe 2 axles allows you more flexibility there.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I already added a rail mount up front for Gavin's bike. seems like with that, and a second propane, I keep adding tongue weight. I could see shifting the small bike to the back, then the big bike up front, but still feel I have more tongue weight than anything.

I've also got a receiver tray that could be used to move some concrete around, for testing purposes..
even with the big bike in the rear and the small bike in the front and a propane can I think it'd be sketchy. you can measure the tongue weight fairly easily. You don't want too much or too little is all, although too little usually bites you first.
TLCA#4180