Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Damn that's a challenge - this is why so many folks have F250's though...

What happens if you carry both bikes off your back bumper, and then extend that carrier to attach the camper to it?

Someone here at work recently had an E3 up for sale at $9500 - I think it was a 2006. I should see if he ever sold it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

why not just bolt it to one of these:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/pts/2949700229.html
82 FJ40
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Chad: I did have Romer's 40, but sold it a few years back.. it lives in Texas now.

Matt: an E-3 is pretty big, and heavy. the 100 isn't that much better than the 80 at towing. It's better, but not like a big pickup truck or anything. And a double carrier extendo deal before the camper just sounds sketchy, that's a lot of weight hanging off of there. I also like to still get into the back of the truck, even with the camper hooked up- something you lose when you do a receiver thing. Would like to stay at 3500 pounds, total, when loaded. Otherwise feel I'd just wear out the 100 needlessly, and get even worse mileage.

Marco: have seen lots of those, but too wide to fit in the back yard. Any 'real' trailer is going to be wider than what I can reasonably back into the gate- want to keep it at 7'.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

what is that 14ga at best? looks twisty. but that's me... You know I am all for thin gauge, but closed/boxed and with gussets.

I think your looking at purpose built not "lets hope this works"..

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm with Beater. That frame won't take it.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Alright, alright, I'm coming around.. dang it. maybe I should just sell out and get this thing: http://denver.craigslist.org/rvd/2966538732.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

you could flip it upside down and beef it all up....
82 FJ40
Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I showed that take-it-ez to the and the response was "I don't want to be in a box!" So as I see it I've got three options now.

1. Build a new trailer frame, new axle, slap my existing camper on top of it, build in a large bike platform in front, maybe a smaller one in back. Could probably do this for $1500 and a bunch of garage time.

2. Sell my current camper, then get a Fleetwood E-2, or similar. 9000-1500= $7500 to flip that, plus a mess of CL transaction time.

3. Build something totally different, similar vein to what Josh did: http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech...r-project.html
sky's the limit on budget, but realistically $3k even with a new RTT.

I am leaning towards door #3. Will likely run what we got for the summer though, so this could be next winter's project... or at least after my basement is done .

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

My worth

Knowing you, you don't want too much bigger because then you'll start limiting yourself on where you can go with it. Remember me at Area BFE with my popup? Sure, doing a SOA on it would have alleviated many of the concerns and probably saved the landing leg that I ripped off on the way out, but still IMO you couldn't get much bigger down where we were.

You are going to have to compromise because you want to bring a lot of toys (don't we all?).

I know the tops of the popup can't support much weight, not much more than an air conditioner or a bicycle rack but could you build something that would allow your motorcycle to ride up top, more centered over the axle, that would still allow you to raise the popup, and not be a complete cluster?

I was thinking something like those racks they make for Jeeps that you can use with a soft top or not top. Might add an unacceptable amount of width though trying to tie it in to the frame...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

I saw one of these trailers and thought it was a nice design. Not quite as cushy as a pop up but smaller, lighter and can carry some weight.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/features.html
Attached Images

"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln