Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Driveways and site plans...

OK, so I'm trying to develop the site plan for the county so that I can get the excavation permit and driveway permit. Pretty straightforward I think, but I have a few questions:
  • How "official" does a scaled site plan need to be? Can I just freehand it?
  • How does one show on a drawing that the current layout of the driveway (which has two 15 foot sections above 10% grade) will be graded to a max of 10%? It's easy work for the tractor (like a single pass), but I need to show it on the plan...
  • How does one place the erosion control devices? I know I have to depict them on the site plan, but is there anything special about placing them downhill of any dusturbed dirt?

I'm trying to get the permit as quickly as possible, because the excavator I intend to use has his equipment up there now (I told him he could park it on our property), and we've got the money set aside to put in the well (have the permit now), driveway, and septic. Problem is, we need to rough in a road for the well truck before he can get up there, and we need to get going on the driveway just to move to the steps for building the solar electric system...

I'm also trying to avoid simply hiring someone to do the permitting and stuff, because frankly I just prefer to do as much as I can myself.

So: any advice? We've got 50+ acres, and the site is hundreds of feet from any external property lines (it crosses the line between our two parcels, but we own both, so...)

Dan
Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jeffco? There is lots to read on their website. I also find the folks typically helpful if you call. How did you determine you need a permit for this scope of work?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Clear Creek.

I've met with Zoning and Planning, Site Development, etc...

Because we own vacant land, we are starting from scratch. We can't even submit for a building permit or special use permit until we have an address, and we can't have an address without a driveway permit (heck, they don't even know IF the road needs to be named until we submit a driveway permit). We also need to move more than 50 cubic yards of dirt (for the septic installation and water line trench), which necessitates the excavation permit (which is combined with the driveway permit).

I've been going through a lot of the Jeffco documents. Clear Creek County has clearly decided to get more formal about the process, but has yet to develop the infrastructure to support it just yet. They've been super helpful on the phone and in person, but I'm just confused about what exactly a scaled site plan looks like for something like this. I've talked to a few developer and architect friends in NM, and they all wanted to know why such a thing was needed, they'd never seen one other than as a plan for a landscaper.

That said, I'll probably stop by site development tomorrow and see if they can't show me a sample of a site plan that works.

I've got a detailed local topo survey done of the driveway and homesight, I'm just not sure how to turn that into a more detailed plan for the excavation, or if one is even needed typically.

Dan
Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

e-mail my buddy Scott Schaefer Sheridan Mountain Excavation, LLC scottdschaefer@q.com

I told him you might and that you don't need an excavator, but he works a lot up there and is always happy to chat a bit and maybe you can hire him as a consultant or maybe more.

There is a good chance you can hand-draw onto your topo survey. Just make a few copies.

"I've talked to a few developer and architect friends in NM, and they all wanted to know why such a thing was needed, they'd never seen one other than as a plan for a landscaper." - every locality varies.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
e-mail my buddy Scott Schaefer Sheridan Mountain Excavation, LLC scottdschaefer@q.com

I told him you might and that you don't need an excavator, but he works a lot up there and is always happy to chat a bit and maybe you can hire him as a consultant or maybe more.
Will do!

Quote:
There is a good chance you can hand-draw onto your topo survey. Just make a few copies.
Awesome. Will give that a shot then perhaps.

BTW--I may be giving you a call for some legal work on it. We want to run the septic line across our property line, and judging from some of the feet shuffling I saw across the table, I'm guessing we may have to do an easement to make them happy or something. I should know more soon...

Dan
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 PM

contact my uncle RON LANE [ lane exavating] he lives in empire, on the right as soon as you come into town up behind the hill from the trailer park.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 PM

by the way dan my uncle may be able to help explain what permits and or plane that you might need, he has done alot of work up in clearcreek co. in the past 30 yrs.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Your lucky your not in Summit County. They would most likely force you to have an engineer draw your plan. 4% max grade on the driveway, bunch of other BS.

If your 50+ acres are you zone agricultural? If so you might not even need to submit anything to the county.

Daniel would know better than me.

Erosion control barriers probably don't need to be drawn in, just installed before digging or grading.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Your lucky your not in Summit County. They would most likely force you to have an engineer draw your plan. 4% max grade on the driveway, bunch of other BS.
Agreed.

Quote:
If your 50+ acres are you zone agricultural? If so you might not even need to submit anything to the county.
MR-5 and MR-LT (Mountain Residential)

Quote:
Erosion control barriers probably don't need to be drawn in, just installed before digging or grading.
That's what's odd. The packet specifically requires them to be depicted on the site plan. Seems simple enough to me to just note that they'll be downhill of any disturbed dirt, but...

Thanks bomber. I may give him a call next week if I have questions. If I can figure it out and get a permit early next week it probably gets me a discount as the excavator I was planning on using happens to have a tractor parked on the property right now (and they decided not to go get it due to the snow today)

Dan
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
That's what's odd. The packet specifically requires them to be depicted on the site plan. Seems simple enough to me to just note that they'll be downhill of any disturbed dirt, but...
I could be wrong but I don't remember Summit County specifying them drawn it. I'd have to check my old site plan drawings.
2004 Starcraft 10RT