Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Trail Ready

Default Official Ouray Trip Info.

We are planning a wheeling trip to Ouray, Sept. 1st to the 4th.

Itinerary is pretty much the same as we've done in year's past. Day one, Saturday, is Black Bear into Telluride for lunch then back to Ouray over Imogene Pass. Day two could be Poughkeepsie Gulch, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, and California Gulch. Other passes we've done are Ophir Pass and Cinnamon Pass into Lake City for lunch.

We are camping at the 4J's+1+1 Campground in Ouray. They can be reached at 970-325-4418. or go to www.coloradodirectory.com/4j11rvpark. 4J's is close to the hot springs pool in Ouray.

Paul and Heather May from the Wasatch Club will be joining us on this run and we look forward to having lots of fun.

Wheeling in the Ouray area of the San Juan's isn't hard core. A capable driver with a stock rig in good operating condition will be able to do all the trails mentioned here. This area is very scenic and full of history. The museum in Ouray is top shelf. Plan on soaking in the hot springs pool following our trip over Imogene Pass.

Please post if you plan on joining us so we can keep an eye out for you in Ouray.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Bruce, was waiting to here from the planners before I gave my vacation time. Am planning on going out for a week. Yes, I WILL be there this year, in the runner . Looking forward to it. Anygood suggestions for a good base camp before the crowd shows?

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm planning on getting there 8-30 in the evening sometime and heading home monday. We will most likely stay in the Ampitheater campground (reserveamerica.com) just south of town.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Question Ouary Trip, sept. 1 - 4th

Hi bruce,iam doug tebbe,fairly new dude still,voted in at july mtg.,anyway
yes we plan on coming down if my wife can get the sept. 1st off,she is a
teacher for denver schools,ill let her know,but they dont go back until aug.
23 or 25th! also should we make reservations now for the camp ground
you have listed in your thread? any all info will be appreciated,thxs.

Doug Tebbe/Tacoma 96, 4inch lift,arb rear locker,headers,gibson exhaust
k/n FPIK klt,32x11.50x15 pro comp mud terrians,sliders
Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Wes, Can you make this a sticky?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Trail Ready

Hey, Doug, sounds good that you and your wife might be able to join us in Ouray. You may want to call the 4J's RV campground and make reservations. You can always cancel if you have to. We haven't stayed at the 4J's ourselves, but chose them because of the skunk problem at the KOA in Ouray. I hope the 4J's works out for us.

There are many RV campgrounds north of Ouray, between Ouray and Montrose, but then you're driving further to meet the group in Ouray. I've heard a lot of good things about the Forest Service campground on the south side of Ouray, Ampitheatre Campground, but they were always booked when I tried to get a spot. The 4J's is very close to the hot springs pool and we thought that was kind of neat since the pool is a great place to end the day.

We look forward to seeing you in Ouray. We'll name a meeting place in a future post to this forum.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

I checked this morning and if anybody wants to there are still 9 sites at the amphitheater campground. We stayed there last summer and it is a very nice campground. Sites 4-13 are the best for tents. It is about 1-2 miles south of Ouray.

ben
Old 07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I'm possibly in for this run. My wife is checking to see if we can "visit" her family in Cedaredge over Labor Day weekend. Then maybe I'll get my father-in-law to ride shotgun with me. If he goes, we'll probably stay in a hotel. I don't think he's done any camping since 'Nam.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I had a chat with the wife. If I get the baby room done before hand i'm in for both Ouray and Triple bypass.

I have alot of work between now and the rally. Hopefully I can get my cases back in the 40 one day too
TLCA#4180
Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Trail Ready

Hey, Wes, if you do the Ouray or the TPB trips in your BJ, I'll drive my diesel, too. Whatta you say?