Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Shipping Tranny from Canada to Colorado

I have an H55F I need shipped from rural Ontario to Safari Ltd. in Grand Junction. My friend isn't sure how to ship it and I've never arranged shipping remotely like this before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have used Forward Air to ship engines and trannies in the past when the shipper is near a major airport and within the continental USA. I don't know if that would work in this instance though.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

talk to abe
TLCA#4180
Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

I had a friendly Canadian drive his FJ45 parts (tailgate, headache rack) over the border, in his truck, and ship it from the US, to avoid major customs hassles. He still had to declare it, leaving Canada, but it was under some dollar-threshold that would have generated paperwork. This may be totally impractical, but it's an idea.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Pay Kevin to drag it down here for you?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
talk to abe
x2. or more specifically, Abe's wife Erica. heck, here: erussell @ TransTrade.com (remove spaces, eh)

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Trail Ready

Hey Jeff,
What's the timeframe for this move? Erica & I are hosting family down in Royal Gorge & the Sand Dunes until Sunday so its tough to do much from here. But we could put together details & on Monday pull the trigger if you can wait a few days.

Like Wes & Tim said, Erica is a licensed customs broker & this is what she does. Her firm doesn't technically do non commercial moves, but as luck would have it she has a sweet spot for Cruiser related moves THe tranny will have to move in bond to Denver, and clear here (since you don't have a continuous import bond). Once cleared here it could be put onto a GJ bound truck & delivered locally after that. Pretty easy move overall, as long as the seller is willing to sign some paperwork & hopefully palletize or crate/pack for transit in some fashion.

I"m assuming the transaction value is less than $2,500, so Erica will clear it on an informal entry. That means US Customs has the option of assessing duties if they want to, but usually doesn't. If they do, it should still only be 2.5% I believe, so not a crisis. But it is more common that they let informals float on by without charging them.

You can hit Erica up directly if you like, or you can hit me up & I can arrange the whole thing through her. Whatever you fell most comfortable with is fine with us.

Best,
Abe
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks Abe, I remember Erica's profession from our discussion in Slickrock. Time frame is, if we can get it to GJ within around 1-2 weeks that would be great. Seller already has it crated up and ready to ship. He lives about 3 hours from TO up in the boonies of Ontario. This is the same guy I got my HZJ75 and my FJ45 from.

When they pulled the head on my FJ60, not only was the head gasket shot, but there was considerable scoring on the walls of #1, and #1 exhaust valve was hammered. The machine shop thinks one or more rings may have disintegrated in #1. Bottom line is the engine has to be yanked anyway.

I bought this tranny a year ago and it's been sitting up there all this time. I paid like $800 or so for it. Now that the engine has to get pulled anyway, it's a "while we're in there" type thing.

Since this engine has already been built twice and here it is with issues a 3rd time around, Hugh feels that it's a problem child and doesn't want to build the same block. Instead we're going to build the 2F that originally came out of his troopie, which was doing great but just worn when pulled.

I assume Nakman's info above is Erica's email?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Trail Ready

Hey Jeff,
Bummer that block might be a lemon, but at least you have a lot of exciting upgrades at the ready! That will be cool. Yes, that is Erica's correct email, and she is waiting for your contact!
Best
Abe
Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks Abe, I emailed her just now.