Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

You know...I had one birf that was complete soup from 90w mixing and it was the one birf that looked way better than the other! With nearly 200k on the truck and not knowing the maintenance history, there's no way to draw any conclusions, but...

I'm glad I finally did this project...my wife is not!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
I'm running the 4:88s with 33s right now, so my speedo is way off. Any guesses as to how far off my speed is at 55 mph? I really think when my speedo says 55 that I'm actually going about 45! Either way, I haven't gone over 50 on my speedo since I'm still taking it easy on the gears.

How many miles should I go before I wheel this thing?!!!!
Enjoy the "power" with the 4.88s and 33s

My suggestion, get a GPS and use that to determine how far off your speedo is. I installed a Mark's speedo correction box and I'm trying to remember the adjustment % I had to input...It was substantial though. I want to say 15% but that might be high. Even with the 35's there is a pretty significant correction factor.

As for the gears, I think I asked the same question a few years ago. I don't remember the answers though. I think the common thought is to take it easy for the first 500 miles or so. Adjust speed often (i.e. no 500 mile highway runs) and don't make any real long drives. Change the diff fluid after 500 or so miles. I did two changes in the end because there was quite a bit of "goop" in the front from the leaking seals that was getting cleaned out. Don't use the expensive gear oil in the interim if you plan to change the oil out again

All that said, as I recall Nakman did his gear swap and promptly headed to Moab, pulling a camper, without any issues so
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Jeff. So, is the Marks correction box able to adjust right now to my 33s and then later to the 35s? Do you have a link to this contraption?!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah you want to get at least a tank of gas done with just stop and go driving, no extended I-70 runs, 2 tanks would be better. I did cheat that a little, but no ill effects. And IIRC the difference is 14%, so when your speedo says 50 you're only going 43.

Hey after a week or so give your front tires a good shake and make sure those bearings are still tight. With new races, they can settle in a tiny bit further and essentially work themselves loose. Somewhere between loose and hot is the sweet spot.. for me if I could feel a little clunk then usually 1/8-1/4 turn on the inner nut was all I needed to get it right again.

Also put a big 17 on the top and bottom knuckle studs, for similar reasons, maybe after you wheel the first time? After that those should stay tight forever.

Good job knocking this out, Paul!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Paul,

The box has a switch allowing you to set two different ratios (labeled fun "tyres" and standard "tyres" ) and switch back and forth with just the switch. Of course you can adjust the settings for each at any time down the road as well. I've got mine setup for the adjustment needed to run 33's (for e-testing) and 35s. The newer units don't use the dip switches shown in the install directions on Slee's site. Instead, there is a digital display that you adjust up or down.

http://www.marks4wd.com/products/tyr...orrection.html

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_speedo.htm

Install is super easy (refer to page 3 on this LINK). There is actually a rubber plug on the PS transmission tunnel that you can poke the wire through so you don't even have to cut a hole...Route the connector to the tcase, unplug the VSS, plug in the Marks adapater, plug the VSS back in, tie up the cables and voila. I spent more time trying to figure out where to put the box than actually running the cable etc. In the end I just sort of stuffed it up behind the dash and carpeting. The cable just barely reaches and it is up and out of the way.

There are cheaper options like new gears or the box that you splice into the speedometer signal behind the glove box (can't remember the name now). I went with Marks box because NO splicing, easy access to adjust if needed (important when trying to set the right ratios initially), and easy install.

My only complaint about the box is that for some reason there is a lag after starting the truck each time before the speedometer starts working. I've chatted with Christo and the Marks people via email about this and they aren't sure why there is a lag. No big deal, just freaks you out at first thinking something is broken after install. The lag is about 1/10th of a mile before the speedometer starts working. Maybe they've fixed the problem now, I don't know. The negative would be if you do a lot of start/stop cycles your mpg calculation would suffer (albeit only a little) and your odometer will be slightlly lower than actual.

Mine has been installed for almost 3 years without any problems
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater