Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

MMDL would not cover you. Contact the DOW and / or animal control.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll pull out my old pellet gun and get it ready in case I see it again.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

I would strongly advise against using the pellet gun. Bill Morgan is right on the money. Let DOW/Animal control deal with it. In many jurisdictions discharging a pellet gun/BB gun/arrow etc is the same as firing off a firearm. Also in today's politically correct world some might construe shooting an animal with a BB without intending on killing it as animal cruelty. Also there are a bunch of hunting/wildlife regulations that apply too. If you are concerned about a coyote them being a threat to your family(Family pets not included) you may consider a CCW for when you are away from the house.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

We have them wondering around Roxborough all the time but they are still scared of us. The DOW has set up traps in the area but we have gone old school. I got a nice slingshot for $20 and practiced for a while, now I have hit two of them and our cul de sac is clear now.

Give it a try, slingshots are fun and effective. Also as far as I know they are not illegal to use in the city limits.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
...some might construe shooting an animal with a BB without intending on killing it as animal cruelty. Also there are a bunch of hunting/wildlife regulations that apply too....
Yep, harassing wildlife. You'd feel dumb for getting busted for such a thing.

They were here first. Says the guy who lives in lion and bear as well as coyote country (we have one who surfs the neighborhood but is not yet bold, and a neighbor lost two goats to a lion fairly recently). Yes I go heeled when hiking in the back 40.

Would only discharge in a case of self defense and only as a last resort.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

We have had issues with them and we try and do the same thing as we do when we see a bear, make a whole lot of noise and yell at them as to make them not want to be around humans, we also have issues as well with people allowing foxes and coyotes to get close as to get good picks or deciding to leave trash out the night before which kinda desensitize them to us after awhile. Making sure we do not feed our animals outside will help but only help if those around do the same. And for legal reasons I would leave any assaults on animals, no matter how nonlethal, to the D.O.W. or law unless in a life threatening situation.

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

"In-justice is a threat 2 justice everywhere" MLK

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only- And that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician." Charlie Chaplin
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

This whole area is new to me. I appreciate all the comments. It's interesting to hear that coyotes are such a beloved animal that shooting one with a pellet gun is against the law. Is that true for poisoning them too (not that I was considering poison)? Can you trap them?

What about rats? Are they protected too? Or is there another category for them?

Can I trap rabbits in my yard, kill them and eat them?

I'm actually serious about all these questions.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Rock Stacker

What it boils down to is political correctness. To many people don't get that wild animals are dangerous. Big city mentality is what we have to deal with. Grandad wouldn't have thought twice about blasting one in the front yard with his trusty Stevens 12 gauge shotgun.

Coyotes aren't beloved in my mind but I know better than to kill one in town. They are predators and you can kill them in the wild as long as you have a small game license, year round and as many as you like.

Rats are vermin and there are no laws about killing them as far as I know.

Rabbits have a season and like coyotes I don't think you can harm them except in the wild.

I wouldn't tell anyone if I knew you did though.

I recently found 4 dead squirrels in the dumpster, I now how they got there and I didn't give a hoot about it. My neighbors would have crapped a load if they'd seen them.

I know that not too long ago, the DOW had hired what they called "sharp shooters" to take care of the coyotes out near Lone Tree. I don't know if they are still employing that system of management. Seems to me they were night shooting them. I doubt it was in neighborhoods.

I'd call the DOW, fish and game, or the police if I had a coyote hanging around my place because I don't want to get fined or lose hunting or gun ownership privileges.

I live smack dab in Denver and I see coyotes once in a while. Foxes used to be more prevalent but I think the Coyotes have run them off.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

An interesting thing happened today right along these lines. A group of high schoolers decided it'd be good fun to shoot an air rifle at rabbits on the property of the apartments I supervise. They killed two and severely wounded two more. The kids were LAUGHING. It about made me sick. But regardless they may be facing charges of discharging a firearm in public (might have been the cop just scaring them, is that a feasible charge?) and other possible charges.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 AM

i know alot of people don't coyotes, but i'm thinking along the lines of it's the same as a bear or say a mountian lion. WE just keep squeezing them out of thier own habitat. but at the same time i would't want to see anybody get hurt, what to do