Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Looking for a 2nd opinion

Good Morning All,

I originally posted over on IH8MUD asking about a sound from what I believe was the front end. I have copied and pasted the IH8MUD post below. It was recommended I post here to see if anyone would be willing to meet up and take a listen to the sound I am having. I live in Parker at E470 and Parker Road, and I work in Aurora at Buckley AFB. Or if there is a good 80 series / Toyota / 4x4 shop around, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts. Below is my IH8MUD post:

I hate making new threads, I have always been able to find the info I need by searching. But my Search-Fu has failed me this time.

I have a noise coming from the front end. The noise is a wa wa wa wa wa wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh sound. (more like a propeller or flat spotted tire than a baby crying wah wah sound). Not metallic, not grinding, not squealing. The volume and frequency increase with road speed and seems to peak around 40 mph. After that either wind noise drowns it out or it is going away (which I doubt). Also, the noise is only while on the power. Off throttle I do not hear it at all. And I only hear it with the windows up. I dont hear it with the windows down, and I dont hear it while driving next to it with someone else driving the truck. Its almost like a resonance more than an actual noise (if that makes sense).

1996 Lexus LX450, 190k miles, CDL, but no lockers, well maintained at Lexus for the 140k miles, no records after that.

Some diagnostics and work I have already done:

1. Removed the front driveshaft, locked the CDL; noise went away completely
2. I had the front driveshaft, rebuilt with new Toyota U-Joints and balanced out of phase at Rocky Mountain Driveline in Denver, re-installed and noise is still present.
3. I rebuilt the front end, repacked birfs, swapped sides, installed new trunion bearings, wheel bearings, axle seals, and brakes. Noise is still present.

So now I am leaning toward the differential. But before I tear into that and have to redo all the birf work I just did I wanted to check here.

Thoughts?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

bearing in your diff maybe
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Rock Stacker

I should have mentioned. I am leaning towards replacing the pinion bearing before tearing into the diff. If replacing the pinion bearing is even doable without removing the entire diff from the truck. The service manual is not clear on this.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had a similar sound that I thought was my transfer case output bearing. I couldn't tell for certain if it was in the diff or axle bearings, but it went away when I swapped rear axles. My guess is the pinion bearing was the culprit.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod5csi View Post
I should have mentioned. I am leaning towards replacing the pinion bearing before tearing into the diff. If replacing the pinion bearing is even doable without removing the entire diff from the truck. The service manual is not clear on this.
You have to take the diff off and apart to change the pinion bearing, and yes, after reading all the stuff you've done that sounds like the most likely culprit. And of course to get the diff off you have to slide the axles out.

But...try the simple stuff first. Make sure your pinion nut is tight. I had a vibration in the rear of my 60 and discovered that the nut was loose and had never been staked. I tightened it and staked it and my problem disappeared.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys,

I will try tightening the pinion nut.

I picked up a stethoscope today and plan on crawling under there and listening while its in gear (and safely on jack stands).

I have done some further diagnostics based on some feedback.

1) out on a dirt road I locked the CDL in 4hi and 4lo and verified the noise is still there. I was hoping to rule out or confirm the T-Case but I still cant.

2) the noise is present outside the truck, driving next to a brick wall I was able to hear the echo off the wall (great way to diagnose wheel bearings also).

So really I am in no better place than before, but I will let you know what I come up with with the stethoscope.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Lifted

Is the noise fast like at driveshaft speed or is it slower in relation to tire speed? I had a front pinion bearing go out and it was a whirring noise while driving that increased with speed. Removing the front shaft had no effect and I eventually jacked the front of the truck off the ground and spun the gears by hand with the front shaft out. Slee rebuilt the front diff for me once I knew it was a bearing.

I am in the pinery and will be more than happy to have a look.

Corey