Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Rock Stacker

Appears to be stock height. I bought it with 33" tires and steel 16" wheels already on it. No other mods a far as I can tell.

I got under it with all 4 wheels spinning in the air. I verified it is coming from the front diff. The noise peaks at 30 mph and tapers off after that. But it is always there to some degree. Verified with a stethoscope.

The pinion nut has it's lock ring, so im not going to mess with that until I get a new one to install. I tried wiggling the flange up, down, left, right, and in and out and there is no excess movement. There is about 25 of play when spinning the pinion before it meets resistance.

For now I have removed the DS again. And will start shopping a rebuilt front diff, or parts to DIY.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Lifted

sounds like a bearing or possibly ring and pinion... Is this an elocked truck? Slee rebuilt mine for a decent price, but reused the ring and pinion. this happened in July last summer and it's been fine since, even with the V8 motor.

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Rock Stacker

Not e-locked.

Im pretty sure I'm going to commit myself to rebuilding it. If anyone has a spare let me know.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

when you lifted it up to listen with a stetascope. did you check the t-case out put bearings ?
reasion i ask is im confused.
you stated that you pulled the front drive shaft and locked the cender diff..
and the noise went away..
did you do them at the same time ? if so, locking the center diff wont matter with the shaft off..
tip: when stethascope and car lifed.. prob all the bearing points. of the diff..
pinion, both outer axle bearings.. and diffrent spots around the pumpkin.. youll hear the noise everywere. but should be obvious when you find the source..
youll even hear a t-case bearing at the axle's, but wont be obviouslly loud and detailed
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Rock Stacker

Im not sure I follow what youre asking.

With the DS in and CDL locked and not locked there was no noise at the T-Case, and the noise was all over the front diff. Listening through the housing I could not pinpoint, the noise at the pinion, left or right side.

With the DS out I do not hear any noise, inside the car, outside the car, or under the car.

I need to review my differential workings but now I am wondering... What is not spinning with the DS out? Seems to me if the truck is rolling and the birfs are installed everything is spinning as if the DS were in. But I do not hear the noise. So the noise must have been resonating through the DS, and is likely still there, I just cant hear it. Which means I am still causing wear and damage to whatever component it is.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Lifted

This leads me to think you have a ring and pinion problem. With the shaft in the gears are loaded which results in the noise. With the shaft out the gears are not loaded so the noise is reduced to the point that you can't hear it. A bearing would make the noise regardless.