Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default The flat towing thread

Any advice on flat towing setups? Just doesn't seem to be rocket science. Tight corners might be a challenge... what about steering forces from the towed vehicle?

Locking rear hubs on the Chili should make this easy.

This looks interesting...
http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Tow-Ready/63180.html

Hmmm... max 45mph??

This one doesn't seem to have that caution, but darned if I can figure out why (except price... ).
http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-020.html
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Rising Sun Commander

can the Chili fit under a 6' 4.5" door? http://denver.craigslist.org/bfd/3043149012.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

No, and my nose is not big enough to extract $5K from ...
Hence... flat towing.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Geez, this looks even better...
http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb...bar-94696.html

Or maybe this...
http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-7514.html (located through a Heep forum, the HF unit had some detractors on YotaTech...)
KDěRCH
Bio Page

Last edited by Red_Chili; 05-31-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

The 45 MPH is probably a stipulation of the manufacturer since that is the maximum towed vehicle speed in a few states (Alaska for one). Same reason that U-Haul trailers say it. You'd have to check the various laws but there are also sometimes restrictions based on weight, when a towed vehicle does not have brakes or when the brakes are not integrated into the towing vehicle.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tight corners can be interesting - hop, chirp, hop. Also, almost all towed vehicles (to be legal) need a 'brake buddy' or some braking technology installed in the towed vehicle. You'd have to read the state law for details.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

I flat towed my runner behind a 1 ton van to Moab for about 3 or 4 years. One criteria I got from my neighbor is to have the tow bar angling upward so the towed vehicle wouldn't climb over in a panic stop. I disconnected the rear driveshaft. Then left the key in the ignition so the wheels could turn as they needed. Disconnect the battery for obvious reasons. Got some temporary red tail/stop lights from UHaul for the back. Towed speed was between 60 & 70mph. Worked great. I once forgot to put the key in the ignition and couldn't understand why my steering wheel didn't do what I wanted. Then the lightbulb busted over my head. Key in/problem solved. Oh yah, don't forget about the dead weight on braking.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
can the Chili fit under a 6' 4.5" door? http://denver.craigslist.org/bfd/3043149012.html
Is it just me or does that seem INCREDIBLY cheap for one of those?

That thing is a monster but only $5K - there's gotta be a catch right?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was thinking about it after our conversation last week. My 40 is easy to flat tow but I wonder if the lack of power steering makes it turn easier?

Speed, I'll do 80 MPH without hesitation on the interstate. I got a cheap tow bar from somewhere can't remember probably Wal-Mart for $100. Magnetic lights for the back. No clue on the laws about brakes but if the towed vehicle is within the tow rating of the tow truck I don't wee why you'd need extra brakes. Your new 3/4 ton will be fine. My 80 knows its back there but never wagged its tail. There's basically zero tongue weight which is cool.

Angle of the tow bar is an interesting question. Mine has always pointed down. I've never had to do any panic stops or stunt driving with the 40 behind me so I can't comment on that aspect.

I drove Rabbit Ears Pass with it in a REALLY bad snow storm. I could feel the rear end of the Suburban push if I went too fast in a corner but a standard trailer would do that too.

Overall I view it pretty much the same as towing a standard trailer except tight turns are a little different as the front tires of the towed vehicle scrub. But normal town driving seems the same to me.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys, very encouraging... Might be worthwhile to put a battery disconnect in with two batts under the rear deck! Not really necessary though.

Yep, familiar with the tow bar angle. Kinda intuitive really, if you stop fast you don't want the towed vehicle to pole vault into your camper!!

I suppose I should weigh the Chili. I doubt it is 5K lbs... but...
KDěRCH
Bio Page