Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Beachboy Beachboy is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Castle Rock, CO.
Posts: 140
Default

Red Chili,
Where did you have it done?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Squishy!'s Avatar
Squishy! Squishy! is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,088
Default

I think he has a modified Front Range Off-Road kit he installed I think I helped him with it...
__________________
-Justin Morgan,

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

Yup. Like he said. Front Range Off Road.

It came in handy when I shredded a pinion on Wipe Out Hill (damage was done on Cliffhanger the prior day). Somehow I always thought I might flat tow some day, and the lockouts are stronger (Bobby Longificated) than a flange and definitely more so than the stock semi-floaters.

Quote:
TO DO LIST: 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, 2 1/2"-3" Magnaflow exhaust, SAS, Duals.
You better fuel that baby better than the red runner you had that ate itself!!
Duals??
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Squishy!'s Avatar
Squishy! Squishy! is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
You better fuel that baby better than the red runner you had that ate itself!!
? I got like 18-20 mpg when I wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Duals??
T-cases
__________________
-Justin Morgan,

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Corbet's Avatar
Corbet Corbet is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 3,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
As for the law, as one person said, if the truck has the capacity to tow you do not need the braking system. Wrong, if you pull a trailer within the truck limits, many trailers has brake systems on them, there is a reason. Check the state law.
I should have been more specific. With-in the un-braked tow limits. I don't recall what it is for a F250 but the Chili could be under that.
__________________
Speski OffRoad LTD, Cargo Solutions for Toyota 4x4's http://www.SpeskiOffRoad.com
"80 series, with a fridge"
1976 FJ40, Project with little progress.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
OilHammer's Avatar
OilHammer OilHammer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 703
Default

I would caution anyone planning on flat towing out here. I used to tow my 40 from NC to Tellico every year. I was using a 2003 Ford explorer with a v8 and tow package. The tow bar needs to angle slightly down towards the towing vehicle. Stab your brakes at speed and what happens? The rear end raises up! If the tow bar angles up, and you try touching the brakes in a corner the result is an unweighting of the rear axle and the towed vehicle tries to slide it. Very scary. My opinion of tow bars is they are fine with an RV towing a car, but I would be hesitant to use one where the weights are anywhere close. I used to put ALL my gear in the tow vehicle just to make sure the 40 was as light as possible. It tracked well, tight corners were never a problem (if your caster is correct) and I could even back it up to some degree. BUT, given the pass and other crazy hills out here, I would opt for a Tow dolly.
__________________
1978 13BT-40, 70 series mechanicals
1966 FJ45 lwb stock
2003 100 OME lift
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
? I got like 18-20 mpg when I wanted
I meant, as in fuel the engine. Fuel pump and 7th injector etc. with that pulley. The full meal deal from Gadget.
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutbeer View Post
I would caution anyone planning on flat towing out here. I used to tow my 40 from NC to Tellico every year. I was using a 2003 Ford explorer with a v8 and tow package. The tow bar needs to angle slightly down towards the towing vehicle. Stab your brakes at speed and what happens? The rear end raises up! If the tow bar angles up, and you try touching the brakes in a corner the result is an unweighting of the rear axle and the towed vehicle tries to slide it. Very scary. My opinion of tow bars is they are fine with an RV towing a car, but I would be hesitant to use one where the weights are anywhere close. I used to put ALL my gear in the tow vehicle just to make sure the 40 was as light as possible. It tracked well, tight corners were never a problem (if your caster is correct) and I could even back it up to some degree. BUT, given the pass and other crazy hills out here, I would opt for a Tow dolly.
F250 Super Duty with over the cab camper towing a 4Runner with special care to angle UP from the 4Runner toward the F250 (you do NOT want the tow bar to angle down unless you want the towed vehicle to pogo into the back of the towing vehicle in a panic stop!)...
The Chili is mighty but not mighty enough to lift a laden F250. She will be firmly planted on all fours methinks...
Towing with an Exploder... not so much.

Don't get me wrong, tow dollies are nice, but this is the cheapest one on Google...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=tow+dolly+price&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6864649684470500514&sa=X&ei=GmzST8eKAcjRhAfQs9TRAw&ved=0CKUBEPMCMAE
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
OilHammer's Avatar
OilHammer OilHammer is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 703
Default

When speaking angles, I was referring to "slight" angles. As in maybe 2" drop from end to end. In this scenario when you brake, the bar levels out perfectly. Short of a front end collision, there is no way the bar would lift the front end of my 40. In severe angles, you are absolutely correct that this could be problematic. For your situation, the RV towing rules apply. This link has drawings and engineering principles from BlueOx.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...mlK0jVikppt4aw
__________________
1978 13BT-40, 70 series mechanicals
1966 FJ45 lwb stock
2003 100 OME lift
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.