Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Wincher

Default Coloradans, anyone know anything about Jeep Trail Road in between Drake and Estes?

Hey guys, still fairly new to Colorado, so sorry for this newb question. Ive got some family coming up this weekend and they are wanting to do a little off-roading and sight seeing. Since everything up my way is shut down due to the fire, we thought about heading towards Estes and playing around on Pole Hill road and Pierson Park. I noticed on the map, outside of Drake heading west towards Estes, is a road called Jeep Trail? Does anyone know anything about this road? Is it just a dirt road that is good for sight seeing or does it have any fun obstacles? Thanks in advance!!
1996 T4R, OME 3" Suspension Lift, 2" BL, Front tube bumper and rock sliders, 4.30 gears, E-locker rear, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's 285/75/16....Tons more to come in the next few months!! Traded my 93 T4R for 97 TJ Wrangler.... Sold Wrangler, and bought my 96!!! Best move ever!!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Any chance you could take a picture of the map you have and post it up? I'm from Estes and don't recall a road that goes between drake and EP. (Doesn't mean its not there but maybe its old road on private property or has been closed down).

The only possibility is on the south side of drake/highway 34. I vaguely recall an old road that I thought was shut down that went east from pole hill towards loveland. Maybe that's the one? Who knows, maybe its still open, and I've just never been down it.

Pole hill is fun and has some good views at the top, but fairly short. Pierson park can link all the way down towards Johny Park by allenspark or can go east towards highway 36. Both fun places to go mess around.

Here's one pic of my buddies inagural run with his 470 on the Pierson Park to Johny Park road.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

There is/was a jeep trail that went between Drake and Glen Haven, and I was on this in 1976 during the Big Thompson flood. But, it was pretty hairy at that time and to me, it looks like parts of it would cross private land now. This trail may have been open only because of the flood.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Rising Sun member

Oftentimes any moderately difficult road will be called a "Jeep Trail" on some maps. That's not necessarily the name of the road/trail.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Wincher

Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely check out Pole Hill and Pierson Park. Looks fun! heres a pic from google maps. Its just past seven pines campground.

1996 T4R, OME 3" Suspension Lift, 2" BL, Front tube bumper and rock sliders, 4.30 gears, E-locker rear, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's 285/75/16....Tons more to come in the next few months!! Traded my 93 T4R for 97 TJ Wrangler.... Sold Wrangler, and bought my 96!!! Best move ever!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Interesting! I see the one you are talking about. Funny it is called "Jeep Trail" on Google maps. I've never been on that road. Its not on the MVUM for Arapahoe national forest, and it looks like road 122 "dead ends" on a private property in holding. Same with road 222 near that 7 pines campground. Actually I guess it might not be private, its just not Forest service according to the map legend. The FS office might know if that's private or county or state land and if traffic is allowed on it.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5165761.pdf
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Interesting! I see the one you are talking about. Funny it is called "Jeep Trail" on Google maps. I've never been on that road. Its not on the MVUM for Arapahoe national forest, and it looks like road 122 "dead ends" on a private property in holding. Same with road 222 near that 7 pines campground. Actually I guess it might not be private, its just not Forest service according to the map legend. The FS office might know if that's private or county or state land and if traffic is allowed on it.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5165761.pdf
Thanks again for your input! Ill call the FS today and see what they say. Watched a few youtube videos of Pole hill, and it seems like it may be a fun trip!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Pole hill is a fun little outing. There are enough sections that provide a bit of a challenge and fun time for visiting folks but not really "tough" if you are paying attention. Plus with the lack of moisture this year the road is probably in decent shape. There are a few good pullouts on the north-east loops where you can get a good view of estes valley.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
Pole hill is a fun little outing. There are enough sections that provide a bit of a challenge and fun time for visiting folks but not really "tough" if you are paying attention. Plus with the lack of moisture this year the road is probably in decent shape. There are a few good pullouts on the north-east loops where you can get a good view of estes valley.
Great! Cant wait to try it out. So far since ive lived here in Colorado, ive only gotten to run Ballard Road, Old Flowers Road, and Seven Mile. How does it compare to any of those 3?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Wincher

If anyone wants to head out and run Pole Hill and maybe something else on Sunday, give me a shout!!