Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Axle resource

In researching what to do with a possibly bent Taco axle housing, I ran across this fella:
High Plains Machine & Tool
Tom Staub
3201 S. Zuni St., Unit C
Englewood
303-806-0451

He checked my housing for free; it's .020" off on one side and worthy of modifying to beef it up, then use it. He agreed with my plan to brace the spring perches. He even offered to recheck it after I do the welding. He charges $80 to straighten housings per side, more or less, and will check them for free if off the truck and empty.

Turns out ol' Tom's main business is moldmaking for various manufactured components, and took on axle work on the side because he was approached and there was a demand. He hardly has time for his main business now. He often cannot answer the phone, one man shop, and he is hard to find (no signs), but he can take blank axleshaft billets and spline them, take tubing, various center sections, various outer sections, and create hybrid axles to almost any specs. You need to provide the parts though...

He doesn't do R&Ps.

You might have to wait a while and will need to be patient about contacting him, but he can also rotate front pinion angles for $75 or so. He said he can do this in his sleep; this kind of work is not even a challenge for him.

I may regret turning you fellers and gals on to him, as he is gonna be busy, I can just tell...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Did I just hear "rotate front pinion angles for $75"? As in "fix my crappy caster without bushings or $800 arms or caster plates" for $75?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

yessir.
Of course, you have to
1) figure out your current caster, and how many degrees you want to go in which direction,
2) remove and disembowel your housing completely
3) try to contact him. He does not return messages, so just keep trying, and
4) wait a while for him to finish.

You get what you pay for. From what I see, it would be paying for quality and a nice guy to boot, at the expense of what might be called instant customer service.

Fair trade IMHO. The $75 is a rough figure but he *is* reasonable.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Right - I was just thinking that probably didn't include the axle arriving on the rig