Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default FZJ-80 P/T Kit and Low Range Gears

Report on Installation of Marks Part Time Kit and Marlin’s Low Range Gear Set on 1995 FZJ-80

I have a 1995 FZJ-80 with 167000 miles. Tires are 35 inch with stock gearing at 4:10. Speedometer is uncorrected and reads approx 10% slow due to larger tires. Both diffs have ARB Air Lockers installed. Center Diff Lock Switch had been previously installed (required for P/T Kit installation).

Installation was completed in one day by Slee Off Road in Golden, Co. Since the transfer case was out, we elected to install all new seals and bearings, completing the overhaul.
Prior to installation, I engaged low range and locked the trans in low to determine the speed at 3000 rpm. Speedo indicated 10mph at 3000 rpm. The following are the readings after Low Range install:
1st - 3000 rpm – 7mph
2nd – 3000 rpm – 14mph
3rd – 3000 rpm – 21mph
4th – 3000 rpm – 28mph

My 4:10 gears indicate 56mph at 2000 rpm on highway driving (GPS indicates 62.2mph)

Impressions –
Part Time Kit – The truck steers easier in 2wd and seems to accelerate more quickly. I suspect the milage will improve somewhat, but that mainly depends on my driving habits.
Low Range Gears – Much improved crawl capability with 4:10 gears.

I had been thinking of going to 4:88 gears, however I like the ability to go 75 mph at approx 2500 rpm with the 4:10s. For hills I can just drop down a gear and it is about what 4:88s gearing would be. My real reason to regear was for better low range (crawl) performance and this new gearset addressed the problem at much less cost. Just my preference.

I hope this helps any one thinking of doing either of these mods. Obviously, doing both while the transfer is apart is the way to go.

One more note, I cannot say enough about Christo Slee’s operation. Ben, Amory and the best tech, Joe are top notch. Good fair prices and excellent service, done right the first time!

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Wow, sweet Terry. Did you do anything about the ABS sensors? Or do you have to look at the ABS light all the time now? Man that's going to be fun when you pop it in low...

My experience with 2wd (DS removed) is there's a lot of understeer on gravel roads, I didn't realize how much the front axle was pulling the vehicle around corners. I'm sure you'll get used to it... plus with independent control of the rear locker you have uncanny donut ability now.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Wow, sweet Terry. Did you do anything about the ABS sensors? Or do you have to look at the ABS light all the time now? Man that's going to be fun when you pop it in low...

My experience with 2wd (DS removed) is there's a lot of understeer on gravel roads, I didn't realize how much the front axle was pulling the vehicle around corners. I'm sure you'll get used to it... plus with independent control of the rear locker you have uncanny donut ability now.
The ABS light does come on in 2wd. Present solution (until bulb removal) is black electrical tape.

I came over cottonwood pass last night and I noticed it did steer a bit different, however I like the lighter steering feel. T

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
Report on Installation of Marks Part Time Kit and Marlin’s Low Range Gear Set on 1995 FZJ-80

I have a 1995 FZJ-80 with 167000 miles. Tires are 35 inch with stock gearing at 4:10. Speedometer is uncorrected and reads approx 10% slow due to larger tires. Both diffs have ARB Air Lockers installed. Center Diff Lock Switch had been previously installed (required for P/T Kit installation).

Installation was completed in one day by Slee Off Road in Golden, Co. Since the transfer case was out, we elected to install all new seals and bearings, completing the overhaul.
Prior to installation, I engaged low range and locked the trans in low to determine the speed at 3000 rpm. Speedo indicated 10mph at 3000 rpm. The following are the readings after Low Range install:
1st - 3000 rpm – 7mph
2nd – 3000 rpm – 14mph
3rd – 3000 rpm – 21mph
4th – 3000 rpm – 28mph

My 4:10 gears indicate 56mph at 2000 rpm on highway driving (GPS indicates 62.2mph)

Impressions –
Part Time Kit – The truck steers easier in 2wd and seems to accelerate more quickly. I suspect the milage will improve somewhat, but that mainly depends on my driving habits.
Low Range Gears – Much improved crawl capability with 4:10 gears.

I had been thinking of going to 4:88 gears, however I like the ability to go 75 mph at approx 2500 rpm with the 4:10s. For hills I can just drop down a gear and it is about what 4:88s gearing would be. My real reason to regear was for better low range (crawl) performance and this new gearset addressed the problem at much less cost. Just my preference.

I hope this helps any one thinking of doing either of these mods. Obviously, doing both while the transfer is apart is the way to go.

One more note, I cannot say enough about Christo Slee’s operation. Ben, Amory and the best tech, Joe are top notch. Good fair prices and excellent service, done right the first time!
This sounds like something i might be interested in...what did the work/parts run you? I like my highway gearing as-is (stock), i downshift a lot but thats fine with me. Offroad crawling could be improved...
2007 FJ Cruiser- Build, Roaded, Sold to get 80
Old 07-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

It was about $2400, but I had the xfer overhauled as well, which you may or may not want to do. I think it was about $2200 w/o overhaul. Terry

Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

i'm almost to the part time portion...just need the tcase parts. i wish they would offer that seperately from the hubs for a couple hundred less
ige tlca #1431
Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
i'm almost to the part time portion...just need the tcase parts. i wish they would offer that seperately from the hubs for a couple hundred less
Ige, I think the parts are available. Contact Landcruiser Phil over at the Copperstate Forum. I know he has the P/T parts in the xfer and he used Warn Hubs, but I do not know where he got the parts. Here is a link to the same write-up and he comments in the text. You can send him a PM. Terry

http://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-st...nge-gears.html

Last edited by ttubb; 07-19-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Cool.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Club Treasurer

Nice. And now you can run Longfields without worrying about wearing them out. I saw you driving home on 285 by the Indian Hills exit last night. That white roof makes your truck unmistakable. You probably didn't notice us going the other way in the 's stock 4Runner!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Right now Marlin has the 80 series lower range gears marked down 20%!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior