Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Marlin's Inner Axle Seals

Does anyone stock Marlin's cool inner axle seals in Denver? 60 series to be exact.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Wincher

I have the mini truck version. Not sure if they are the same as the 60 series, but they have to be similar. I used to always think my knuckle leaks were coming from the Birfield grease leaking out, but after installing the Marlin seals, I have been leak free for 5 years or so. As I'm sure you've read, what really happens is the gear oil leaks into the knuckles through the inner seal and makes the knuckle balls leak. I know my axle is slightly tweaked, which probably caused all this in the first place, but I still highly recommend the Marlin seals. The only trouble is, now the knuckles are always dry and rust and pitting start to set in. before they always had a good coating of oil to keep them safe.

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KFWD
Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Steve, I wasn't able to find any the last time I did my axle. I called Cruiser Outfitters... Kurt had them here pretty quickly.
82 FJ40
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Steve, I wasn't able to find any the last time I did my axle. I called Cruiser Outfitters... Kurt had them here pretty quickly.
Thanks, Marco. That's probably the direction I will head. Kurt's almost local.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

I think I have a spare set somewhere in my garage. You know how that goes...but I'll see if I can find them.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
I think I have a spare set somewhere in my garage. You know how that goes...but I'll see if I can find them.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

For what it's worth, i will not use the Marlin inner axle seals in my 80 anymore.. the 2 sets or Marlin inner axle seals i tried leak'ed. I have not had any issue since going back to stock (which i got from Kurt).... it is a great idea, but something wrong with it in implementation, because i ended up with milkshakes in both birfs.. twice.. I do not believe that Christo uses them anymore either.... I would use other Marlin seals, and his other stuff is killer, but not the inner axle seals IMHO...
KD0EXO

Last edited by Rock Dog; 07-23-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
For what it's worth, i will not use the Marlin inner axle seals in my 80 anymore.. the 2 sets or Marlin inner axle seals i tried leak'ed. I have not had any issue since going back to stock (which i got from Kurt).... it is a great idea, but something wrong with it in implementation, because i ended up with milkshakes in both birfs.. twice.. I do not believe that Christo uses them anymore either.... I would use other Marlin aeals, and his other stuff is killer, but not the inner axle seals IMHO...
I felt the same way regarding Marlin seals in my 80 too. Joe at Christo's has a theory about why they don't work in the 80 so well but I can't remember what it is. In the late 40 and 60 series though, they work great and I will continue to use them in that application.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
For what it's worth, i will not use the Marlin inner axle seals in my 80 anymore.. the 2 sets or Marlin inner axle seals i tried leak'ed. I have not had any issue since going back to stock (which i got from Kurt).... it is a great idea, but something wrong with it in implementation, because i ended up with milkshakes in both birfs.. twice.. I do not believe that Christo uses them anymore either.... I would use other Marlin aeals, and his other stuff is killer, but not the inner axle seals IMHO...
so true
anyone reading this; take it from those of us who learned the hard way,
save yourself from doing it twice, put in OEM seals on 80's
Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun Commander

What's the issue? I put one in my 80, but I guess I didn't keep it around long enough to find the bad side effect?

www.gamiviti.com