Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone
Default Needed: Concrete Slab Poured

I'd like to find a good concrete guy to pour a slab for me, 18' x 30'. Ultimately, a garage will go on the slab, so I don't know if things are done differently, but if anyone knows anyone or does this type of work, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
TLCA#11073
Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBone View Post
I'd like to find a good concrete guy to pour a slab for me, 18' x 30'. Ultimately, a garage will go on the slab, so I don't know if things are done differently, but if anyone knows anyone or does this type of work, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Keep local building codes in mind, when i was researching a second garage possibility awhile back, a 24' x 24' was the largest slab that could be used for a garage.. any bigger meant doing a foundation, per Code in Centennial...
KD0EXO
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Neal brings up a good point, if you intend to make this garage you really need to review the zoning code. The city changed a bunch of things in 2010 with the new codes, so you might be very limited.

Do you already have a garage or any other structures besides the house? What is your lot size and existing building size and build locations on the lot? Do you know your zoning type (urban, urban edge, suburban, etc.)? Do have and are planning on using the alley? I believe the 18'x30' could work as long as the location criteria are met (5' set backs, 15' from the house) and your lot can have a 540 sq-ft garage (depends on lot size, you might have to stay under 500 sq-ft).

Even if you just pour a slab, you'll still need to check the zoning. Even patios and unenclosed parking spaces have zoning restrictions. You might also have to get a zoning exemption to build it in stages or you might have to have it zoned as a garage that just takes a few years to build...

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

What he said:

damhik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Neal brings up a good point, if you intend to make this garage you really need to review the zoning code. The city changed a bunch of things in 2010 with the new codes, so you might be very limited.

Do you already have a garage or any other structures besides the house? What is your lot size and existing building size and build locations on the lot? Do you know your zoning type (urban, urban edge, suburban, etc.)? Do have and are planning on using the alley? I believe the 18'x30' could work as long as the location criteria are met (5' set backs, 15' from the house) and your lot can have a 540 sq-ft garage (depends on lot size, you might have to stay under 500 sq-ft).

Even if you just pour a slab, you'll still need to check the zoning. Even patios and unenclosed parking spaces have zoning restrictions. You might also have to get a zoning exemption to build it in stages or you might have to have it zoned as a garage that just takes a few years to build...

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Up here there's a requirement for open ground per ft- I forget what it's called, but they actually require us to leave a certain portion of our lot open so that enough water can seep into the earth as opposed to run into the streets. Clearly a newer law, given some of the other stuff I've seen built nearby.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone

Thanks Dave and everyone else. This is really helpful. I currently have a one car garage that faces the alley, the plan is to make that a two-car garage with a slab of concrete next to that to work on the truck on nicer days. I'll look at all the zoning for Denver. Much appreciated.
TLCA#11073
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

4" 3,000PSI with wire reinforcement and 18" thickened edges should do you. You'll have a trench and rebar inspection. Ufer ground too for later electrical.

I used M&R Concrete and was very pleased - 303 288 1615
Rivera Flatwork - 303-944-2563 – also does a lot in NW Denver and people say good things.

Happy to discuss Denver zoning later this week.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Kirsten has her MWDSBE civil/structural certifications with Denver (and FHWA & CDOT, should you want light rail or highway work done). Hiring a "disadvantaged" firm sometimes helps when you submit.

http://squarek.co/

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul