Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Moto spring swap - suspension setup

Hey so my 525 was set up for a 275 pound rider. Really tall, stiff, not a huge deal around town but I want to get on dirt and don't want to take a pounding.

so last night I removed my seat, gas tank, rear tire, shark fin deal, then ultimately removed the rear shock. Total time about 45 minutes, hey not so bad! I then stared at it for 20 minutes more figuring out how to get it apart. Ended up going back inside to search for videos.. found this one where they guy does it in less than 1 minute:

But that's cool, I needed a lesson in removing the rear tire anyway. I never did find a video for how to actually remove the spring, but ultimately found a few threads on Advrider that mention removing a little clip. So just in case I'm not that last guy to figure this out, what you do is relieve all the coil spring tension so the spring is loose, flip it upside down then tap this flange-looking thing at the base of the shock assembly, towards the spring. That reveals this little clip you can remove with your fingers, then the flange falls off, the washer falls off, and the spring slides off.

I had 2 spare springs on hand- the stock one, and a "slightly heavier than stock one" that 60wag brought over. I went with the stock one... now my bike has the stance of a chopper, totally low in back and still tall & stiff in front.

My next step is learn how to pull the front springs- again I have found a couple threads with references to loosening the triple clamps but that's about it. Anyone know of a video on this? Or is it really easy?

Also, I didn't bother with measuring any type of bike sag or rider sag before diving in, but am interested in if there are any good DIY tips for doing that once I get these stiff springs out of there.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you look up videos on replacing fork oil/seals you'll see the front spring removal/replace as a step in that process. If we did a "fork seal party" we could address a spring swap as well.

Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah, I may just try to back off all the dampening until I have more time for this.. unless it's possible to pull the springs with the forks still on the bike?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

No, the fork tubes have to come off the bike to change the springs. It's not hard to do. I ordered a 22mm wrench. It might show up late this week. Get a seal kit on hand and we can schedule a seal/spring swap party.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I was able to do my springs without taking the fork tubes off of the bike.

Front wheel can even stay on too... you just have to unscrew both top caps at the same time and push the wheel up so the springs pop up and out. It took me maybe 30 minutes to do.
82 FJ40
Old 09-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I was able to do my springs without taking the fork tubes off of the bike.

Front wheel can even stay on too... you just have to unscrew both top caps at the same time and push the wheel up so the springs pop up and out. It took me maybe 30 minutes to do.
Ok so get the handle bars out of the way, then loosen the top portion of the triple clamps, then remove the top caps of the forks, and push down? I'm going for it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, ok then. I was thinking you had to unscrew the cartridge from the bottom of the fork tube but I guess not.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

no, in fact Tim, if you ride over to my house we can do it faily quickly. my trip this week got cancelled
82 FJ40
Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Cool! will see what my plans are later, I'm traveling this week so may not be able to get out.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Ok so get the handle bars out of the way, then loosen the top portion of the triple clamps, then remove the top caps of the forks, and push down? I'm going for it.
Push down gently or you might find a bit of oil coming out the top of the tubes.