Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 04-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl
Default New old 9r

Less than 3 weeks from 22 years separated. Only parts I have are matching painted steam and a post to suffice til a dropper. I'm still not sure how I'll build it out, what fork. Not sure about drivetrain but it will be shimano. I've always ridden triples and being able to hit 74mph on a downhill into gothic I'm afraid to go 1x. I'm old skool but trending to the 1x if I'm going to do it.

I'm interested in recommendations though...

TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 04-18-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sweetness!

My Gunnar is a 1x10 cobbled together with a Wolf Tooth 30 in front an 40 in the back. So the spread is 11-40 x 30. Top is 78.3 inches and low is 21.7, using a 2.10x29 tire.

It's roughly the same low end as a 2x10 using 26/38 and 11-36. On that top is 99 inches, low is 20.7 inches. So you give up your top two gears since 38x14 is around 78 inches.

On a triple using 22/32/44 and a 11-32 cassette you get a top of 115 inches and low of 19.8.

So it's all about the top side as you know. In my experience you can configure it so that you don't miss any low range (30x40 is plenty low, I'd run 32 front if I had it to do over) and I don't miss anything on the high end on pavement usually. On flat or slight down 30x11 is tall enough that you're still actually pushing at about 20 MPH and that's about all I ever need with fat tires. I really don't miss the top gears because anything where you'd use it I'm spun out anyway, but down hills are more about just keeping up, you're not pushing.

But if you're really worried both SRAM and Shimano now make an 11 speed cassette with a 10-42 range, which allows you to run a bigger front. With a 34 tooth front and 10-42 rear your top is 97.5 inches and your low is 23.2 inches. This will be a little tall on really steep climbs but not impossible. And 97 or 98 inches on a 29'er will give you a speed of 23.5 MPH at 80 RPM. Compared to your 3x, where 115 inches at 80 RPM is about 27 MPH.

Personally I see the utility of a 1x with gears and I'll never run a front derailleur ever again. I don't miss it and the weight reduction is not small. I dropped about a pound off the bike going 2x10 XT to 1x10 but it's a noticeably more reliable in mud since there's nothing to collect. I like the significant jumps between gears, but this irritates some people. But my other two bikes are single speed so standing isn't foreign and I just power through. I run 34/19 on the Rhygin (26") and 42/26 on the REEB.

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm digging this long travel hard tail shift going on lately.

Very happy with the new Fox (I got the Float 34 Factory 130mm FiT4), although MRP (FWIW, they're made out in Grand Junction) would be very high on my short list. Probably for that frame the Loop or Stage would be the best matches, probably the Loop being a little less enduro. Weight-wise the Loop and Float are about the same at 4 lbs.

Also run at least a 180mm front rotor, don't even think twice about that. For what you do 210mm is overkill, but not by much.

I ended up with a standard post, I don't see the need for a dropper and Kirsten's was unreliable. She had a Rock Shox Reverb Stealth (internal routing) and unless the weather was warm it wouldn't extend fully after being dropped. Bleeding made no difference. For the once in a great while that dropping the seat might be useful all the complexity just seems silly. And heavy, man was that sucker heavy. We took it out last week and I think she's planning on selling it. It's 31.6mm.

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Can you retro a single front on a bike with a triple?

Seems like a dumb question but I have no clue
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice!

1x for sure. Front Derailleurs are dead! You'll love the benefits.
69 Chevy C20
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
Can you retro a single front on a bike with a triple?

Seems like a dumb question but I have no clue
You mean change a triple to a single? Absolutely, there's no restrictions that would prevent it. You're removing a bunch of parts is all. The only limitation would be your rear derailleur's ability to deal with the range. How many gears do you have in the back now? As long as it's 8, 9 or 10 you'll be able to rebuild the cassette to put a giant cog in the lowest slot. With a derailleur designed for a triple you'll probably be safe and not snap it off. It might be a little sluggish but cranking the B-spring tension to 11 will make it totally tolerable.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

thanks Dave!
I can't decide between a 32 and 34 ring.

I was leaning to a factory 32 or 34 but i can most likely get a rock shox for cost but not fox. So i was considering a pike or sid but can't decide.

I'm leaning to turquoise king hubs and arch ex hoops. I considered the i9 but the ultralight or trail would run me double what the classic would.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

A 32/42 is a good compromise of an almost granny but not quite pushing for steep climbing. 43/42 will feel a little tall if you're looking for a bail out like on Mt Falcon. Of course anything in the 19-to-22 inch range is toeing the line on where a tall guy like you will walk faster anyway, but having a granny is nice when you're tapped. Standing is always an option and 34/11 won't feel so much like a hamster in a wheel.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

I love my Pike.

I wouldnt touch anything Fox unless it was a DH40 or 36.
69 Chevy C20
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
I wouldnt touch anything Fox unless it was a DH40 or 36.
Why?