Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Wow, these are all over the place right now.
'Tis the season... for campers, boats and motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
as your kids get older, the ARB fridge may not cut it. If you can afford it, I would get one with a fridge. Even in my current Kimberley, I have a fridge and then one in the truck
Makes sense, thanks Ken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Agreed on the 2nd fridge, but why dedicate it to the camper? here Drew http://boulder.craigslist.org/app/3189851917.html
Tim, you can spend my money nearly as fast as I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
a bit more money, but depends on what you are looking for
I have no interest in hauling toys, or having more clearance... got plenty of clearance right now that I have barely used. I think my sights are pretty clear on what we would use it for, mostly getting out into nature in developed campsites... might even buy a bug zapper.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew, buy a popup for the "improved" campgrounds...Keep your smaller camper for the times you go to Area BFE or the like

A couple other thoughts I'd share/agree with. Being able to load up the camper when not in the "up" position is nice. Ours you have to partially pop up in order to reach a good sized vacant area in the floor and the fridge. Having a storage locker on the front would be nice but you have to be careful to not overload that and get the tongue weight too high.

Potty - If you are staying at improved camp grounds they will have bathrooms. IMO, a better plan would be to get a Pett toilet and shelter or similar if an indoor potty is a requirement. Easy setup and take down. You might be surprised at how much room inside the indoor potty will take up. Just food for thought. In the 15+ years we've owned our popup camper I can only remember one time wishing for a built in potty. We were camping in an unimproved campground outside of Moab. This was years before we bought the Pett toilet. Now that we have that...

I guess I just can't see sitting in there doing your business and stinking up the joing with everyone else around

Personally, if I had a vehicle that would pull one and I could afford the storage, I'd get a larger hard sided trailer with the popout sleeping areas...Those are nice but big, heavy, and expensive...

EDIT: You might consider spending some time and looking at old brochures to get ideas of sizes, interior layouts, etc. I just found this:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php...a=album;in=102

If nothing else, if you come across a trailer online you could use the above as a source of info. For instance, if you look at the 1999 brochure and look at the bayside, that is basically what I have (sans the storage locker). I can't find the actual model I have - apparently it was a "mid-year" introduction and never made it into a brochure
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Rising Sun Commander

here you go Drew. If nothing else, an idea of what you can do to modify.. http://denver.craigslist.org/for/3183728895.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with Jeff- buy a 10-16' hard sided. Virtually 1/2 the price, no issues, no set-up (other than leveling), virtually no maintenance. BTW, we may be selling our 10' hard sided camper this winter. It's been 100% refurbished and virtually brand new. We're headed towards a motorhome...

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3207112393.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3204110971.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3203992264.html
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

We have not used our "new to us" Starcraft 10R/T a lot yet but my only complaint could be more storage. A small deck or storage box would be nice. I'll probably just put the Thule box on the roof in the future if I need it.

I like having the PETT toilet. I prefer to do my business outside the camper. If the weather warrants it you can always move it indoors. But if you have a built in you can take it out.

Heat, fridge, water are all you need. Everything else just breaks. Being able to load it folded down would be nice. We can't with the Starcraft, well the fridge anyway. I leave all the cooking stuff inside. Put our dry goods in the one cabinet that is accessible while folded.

Trailer brakes are a big plus. I'm happy to have them especially on the long descents we have around here.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
Well Steve, Done my duty to the outside in a big way. Now when mama is along it's a little different. Still have to make her coffee to get her out of bed in the morning either way. My bones don't get up off the ground as easy as they use to. I still like a good tent........well........
Your still my hero!!!

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM

my wife and i had a coleman sequoia 14' box, had water,no heat,no frige,no potty. pain in the ass load supplys, had to hand crank it up to get to storage.
no we have 18' hybred trail lite bantam, ac micro wave heat water shower/ potty dish solor panel[35 watt] to charge the battery. we don't use the microwave or the ac, that needs more juice like a 3000 watt gen. frige we use somtimes but it takes forever to cool down. has plenty of room for my wife and i and our 3 dogs, 70lbs,120lbs, and our new puppy 25lbs. i pull this with my 2000 tundra, not sure of the trailer weight.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
I agree with Jeff- buy a 10-16' hard sided. Virtually 1/2 the price, no issues, no set-up (other than leveling), virtually no maintenance. BTW, we may be selling our 10' hard sided camper this winter. It's been 100% refurbished and virtually brand new. We're headed towards a motorhome...

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3207112393.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3204110971.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3203992264.html
I liked your first hard-sided rant better, why'd you take it down? I thought you made some good points..

It's all about where you want to go- on the last camp Farnham one of those big campers would have just been destroyed- lots of dips in the road, banks, roots, low branches.. as it was I still bashed 2 corners of my sprung over popup leaving the place. Plus if it were any muddier I'm not sure an exit with a big trailer would have even been possible. So yes, if the intent is developed camp grounds behind the stock Sequoia, then yeah one of those big hard sided deals would fit the bill and likely be more comfortable/easier than a popup.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

I took it down because alot of you guys have pop-ups & the last thing I want is to be "one of those guys". You know the type... Mud is full of them. At any rate here's the original rant:

I hate to poo poo the idea of a pop-up but I couldn't agree with Jeff more: "Personally, if I had a vehicle that would pull one and I could afford the storage, I'd get a larger hard sided trailer". I will admit that I'm a little turned off by pop-ups- my Dad came home with one once and our camping trips seemed to become way more complicated for many of the reasons previously stated in your thread. I'm sure they have come a long way since then but $6-8,000 is an incredibly expensive tent!!! There is a ton of hard sided campers out there that are half the price, have more storage, better appliances, and can be put away/stored immediately upon return from a trip without any maintenance (I.e., setting up camp in the front yard so that everything can be dried out). As you know, Colorado is notorious for a 45 minute afternoon thunderstorm/high wind situation. Just about every time we're camping this seems to happen and, as I'm stepping out of our 10' hard sided camper, I always feel sorry for those that are in tents or anything soft sided. As far as MPG, a nice hard sided camper can be had for roughly $3,000. That leaves about 3k in savings for gas or storage. In other words, 8,000+ miles in a Sequoia getting 10 MPG while dragging it around. I'll get off my soap box now and I'm sorry if I offended any pop-upers.

Some things to consider:
1. Large water capacity or room to add an additional water tank. 35 gallons will only last 4 days with 2-3 very quick showers

2. 12v deep cycles may or may not provide enough juice. Consider two 6v batteries (Can't remember if it's series or parallel but it's + to - to make a giant 12v battery from the two 6 volts) in lieu of two 12v deep cycles. You'll double/triple your amp hours.

3. Air conditioning will require 110 power or a
generator. Honda makes an incredibly quiet generator
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

ah.. different strokes for different folk.

For now I like the popup. Small, easy to maneuver and I still like the tent part. It make it feel like were still "camping" vs rv'ing, I don't want all the appliances, I like camping, dutch oven vs oven or microwave, Green coleman stove. I don't really deploy my awning all that much and there is nothing else i have to deal with in high wind unless 1/2 the windows are open. otherwise they are either all up or down. The awnings you hard siders still have to deal with as well. It's so dry unless i put the popup down when it's raining there is no drying out I've ever had to do. I don't clean any bathrooms or deal with grey water. I pretty much have 2 of everything and the popup is ready to roll. Don't get me wrong there are good points to both Popups and hardsides.

Only time I've ever been envious of a hard sided camper is I can't use my popup in the winter to crash at ski area parking lots. I'm sure one day i'll get a hard side when i'm older but for now I like the popup life.
TLCA#4180