Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Lifted

Default Blasting Advice-Buy and DIY or Pay For It

Trying to decide what to do here. I've got 5 FJ40 wheels, 4 80 wheels, and all the small parts and whatnot that comes along with doing a 40 resto.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a Harbor Freight blasting cabinet ($170 for the big one + media), or if I should just pay a shop to do it ($30/wheel = $270 min).

I've got a 30gal 5hp Snap On Compressor rated at 7CFM @ 150psi. I'm not sure if this would be enough for the cabinet to really work well? Anyone have experience with them?

I want to pull the trigger on the cabinet, but not if it's just a waste with my compressor. But, it'd sure be nice to have something around for the small parts.

I could also use the blasting cabinet at Club Workshop for $70/day, but it looks pretty much like the HF one, not sure what kind of compressor is behind it.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 PM

I worked in a shop with a skat-blast cabinet(nice$$$) and the shop compressor couldn't keep up. Do you know the specs on your compressor? (i.e. 10cfm @ 90psi)We had to run the big engine driven trailer style one to be productive. So I think for small parts, you would be OK with your compressor. But trying to do a bunch of big stuff, you'll get pretty frustrated.

1996 FZJ80
Old 07-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

We have a blasting cabinet and a large 25hp rotary compressor. It takes it all to keep up. Unless your time is worth nothing, I would send it out. It is going to take a loooong time to do.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had a skat blast cabinet with basically the same compressor you have a while back and it works for really small stuff but for anything more than just a small bracket it turns into a huge pain in the ass. Like Christo says, just send it out. You'll hate the experience if you are going to sand blast all the stuff on the 40 resto yourself, hell I wouldn't even do a few wheels, I'd just give it to powdercoating specialties or something.

You'll get frustrated because it is taking for ever so you'll hurry the job and miss spots, the compressor will be working non stop so it will be hotter than hell which means you'll get a ton of condensation in the lines because the drier won't work. The sand will clog in the gun because of the wet air..

But for small stuff every once in a while it works.

If I wanna sand blast stuff now I use a pressure pot from HF with my compressor and my truck idled waaay up (york) plumbed in parallel and it doesn't keep up but makes it *kinda* work. I still hate it.
82 FJ40
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Lifted

Thanks everyone...back to the blaster they go.

Maybe I'll hold off and see if Les Schwab is going to have the powder coating svc when they open up in the fall here.

Does anyone know a cheap place to do some wheels? $30/wheel is the cheapest I've found.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

$30 a wheel for powder coat is a good price IMO. The best down here was $50 and they closed down.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Lifted

I wish, $30 is blasting only, powder coating is another $45/wheel.

$3/min at Blast Tech, est. 10mins a wheel.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

try calling powdercoating specialties in golden. i think they are cheaper.
82 FJ40
Old 07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
try calling powdercoating specialties in golden. i think they are cheaper.
x2 on PCS! I have used them in the past and have always got exactly what I requested and never felt price gouged! I really like Premium Powdercoating near Frederick (former building location of Epocs (Bruce Miller)). That is all they do and they have dozens of colors and textures available. They can do small jobs and can even do large jobs like cages and frames! They warranty the work so if they do a bad prep job they would be the ones fixing it. They are a bit more pricey than PCS but they are still less than Road Runner who by the way I would not recommend.

Sorry, I confess that I didn't fully read the original post. Another option you might consider is having them chemically stripped. Not as popular as it once was due to chrome plated plastic vrs steel of the older cars but there are still places around.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Lifted

I ended up using Blast Tech in the end, they over estimated on the verbal quote and ended up charging me $15 per steel wheel and about $22 per 80 aluminum wheel. Pristine Powder Coating did the color, Lee there is awesome, $45/wheel.

Thanks for all the suggestions.