Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Lifted

Default Freeride/DH?

Is anyone into it on this forum? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a norco shore 3. From what I have read, it's a good entry level bike.

Thoughts?
Corey

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Can't comment on the bike you listed but are you trying to decide between a FR or a DH bike? Personally I'd go FR unless you are committed to riding lifts every time you want to get any saddle time.

My FR bike is a Cannondale Gemini. Its pretty old now but still rides nice. I upgraded the fork and rear shock. I'm on a single crown fork to keep the overall weight manageable uphill. I've got 170mm front and rear.

Angel Fire Ski Area in NM has an excellent FR park by the way.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Lifted

Yeah I am leaning more towards freeride. It's a ton of fun!

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Rock Stacker

I've been riding DH for a few years, Norco makes a decent bike. All my race buddies run high end brands like Santa Cruz, Kona, etc. - but they're sponsored and practically get the bikes for free.

If you ever want to ride some fairly level trails or XC stuff, go with a FR. I'm bad about only taking the lift up, crankin my Haro up a hill blows usually.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Lifted

Getting into freeride/dh around here is a very very good idea. I've been a season pass holder at winter park for four years, and the place has taken off the last couple of years offering up a ton of trails of almost every style and type. Not to mention Sol Vista, Anglefire, keystone and others for when you want something different.

That Norco would definitely get your feet wet, but it is a pretty low-end build package and only a 6" travel bike. you'll definitely be left wanting to upgrade about everything if you ride it a lot. but, it is a solid frame from a good company and will get your started if thats all you can invest. save some cash for that winter park season pass

I ride a transition bottlerocket, 6" in the front and 5.5" in the back. its an awesome freeride bike and i ride everything with it, but it is seriously lacking when things get steep, super fast or super rocky. its perfect for jump trails like "rainmaker" where it feels more like a super duper dirtjump bike. i also do a lot of dirtjumping so that works well for me.

but... when i ride the steep, rocky or mega fast trails, the geo and short travel leaves you VERY VERY little margin for error, if you get off the line or make a mistake be ready for a quick launch over the bars.

as a short travel FR bike, i've tried to make it a 'do all' machine by running an adjustable seatpost and hammerschmidt, but its not panned out to make too much sense. to survive a day at a resort, I have to run 2.5" DH tires that bring my weight to 42 pounds. post season i can swap to lightweight tubeless tires and drop it to 34 pounds. mostly i just ride my 29er instead.

if i wasn't spending all of my money on other things (new house... heep... lawyers...) i would buy a 7" travel free ride specific rig or an 8" travel world cup downhill type rig and swap the bottlerockets parts over to a covert frame for use as a fun 'all mountain' rig.

If i was to make a recommendation for the best lift serviced freeride bike for the front range, i'd say go with a Transition TR250.

or... since we only have about a 4 weeks of downhill ridding left, why don't you just join me at winter park and i can get you a 50% discount on a rental or demo bike, and you can try some stuff out.

metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Lifted

This is what I tell all my friends who eventually decide they want to join me on the “slopes” during the summer months.

If you want a DH bike do not compromise, the bikes that people claim that can be pedaled up hill and be fun at the bike parks and/or be a jack of all trades suck at everything. The geo will be wack, it will be cumbersome, heavy and have an identity crisis with the parts spec’d. To maximize fun especially living in Colorado with all our bike parks, get a legit DH bike with modern low slack geometry. A friend of mine almost bought a yeti 7 (stupid bike) and I talked him out of it with the same pep talk, got him to go into mojo wheels and they got him into a brand new nice special ed demo for a very reasonable figure. He is in love. The best thing to do is demo a bunch of bikes at the parks and form your opinion about which bike suits you. I would personally pass on the shore... The transition above is a very nice ride but I would suggest the longer travel TR450 for CO especially for a newer rider. I ride a very similar bike and love it very much.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Lifted

I appreciate the input. It sounds like I need to demo some more bikes are get educated on what's out there.

I am not new to mountain biking but I have been out of the scene for about 10 years, and a lot has changed. I also have done very little resort riding, but the little I have done has been super fun. My experience has been pretty much all cross country.

The shore was appealing due to its low cost entry level status to get my feet wet, but maybe it's best to hold out and save some cash to get a better bike.

Decisions.....