Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Lifted

How about a Kona Stinky Deelux?

I found one for what appears to be a decent price.

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Lifted

I've never been a fan of Kona's personally.

I'd get out and rent for the remainder of the year, then start keeping an eye out for used stuff after the season is over.
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Corey, bikes are much like anything else. There will be one person how loves a particular bike and the next who hates it for one reason or another. Much like slamming a chevy engine in a Toyota. Some love it, others are purists. I've done it twice so don't think I'm a hater.

The best advice you've got is to demo a few and pick what you like in your price range. If you could find something used that would be great. But keep in mind simply replacing the complete drive train on a high end bike will be very costly. So if there is any doubt in condition have someone in the know check it out.

Everyone is going to have a slightly different riding style and ability making each bike different for each individual.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Lifted

That's good advice

I will let you all know what I end up with.

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Everyone is going to have a slightly different riding style and ability making each bike different for each individual.
Yup. ultimately its a highly personal and expensive decision and the only thing that really matters is that you get out and have as much fun as possible.

everybody has their own personal benchmarks in the sport, and its up to you to decide what that idea of 'fun' really is. its also an overly fashion conscious sport with a nearly unlimited level of bling available and its easy to get sucked into that.

no matter what bike you choose, it will have notable advantages and disadvantages depending on where, how, how often and with whom you ride and i would not take anybody's advice as gospel.

if your racing, obviously the clock is the only thing that counts.

otherwise, fun is the only metric that matters!!

to add: without a doubt the single best thing i've bought to enhance my DH/FR ridding experience of the last couple of years has been a Leatt brace. Do invest in quality safety equipment, the potential for some horrendous crashes exist and having quality safety equipment should definitely be factored into your purchase decisions. on top of the obvious protection, the psychological aspect is pretty huge.
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterFJ40 View Post
I've been riding DH for a few years, Norco makes a decent bike. All my race buddies run high end brands like Santa Cruz, Kona, etc. - but they're sponsored and practically get the bikes for free.

If you ever want to ride some fairly level trails or XC stuff, go with a FR. I'm bad about only taking the lift up, crankin my Haro up a hill blows usually.
Hey Scooter, do you know Sean Enners? He is on the downhill circuit local. He is a buddy I work with.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Lifted

I went with the kona stinky dee-lux.

The PO put a Marzocchi 888 RC2X fork and the original fox vanilla is still in place. I really like the elixer Rs with the 203mm rotors. The bike can stop.

My plan is to ride it around here and then take it apart this winter and go through it. I need to get some safety gear so I won't go up to a resort until the spring.

Woohoo! I am super excited!