Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I always buy some, make a burger and put it on top, then the rest goes bad cause I don't use it. While i know you can put it on anything what are the most popular uses?

I never grew up out here so I don't really understand the whole thing but I LIKE HOT peppers.
TLCA#4180
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I always buy some, make a burger and put it on top, then the rest goes bad cause I don't use it. While i know you can put it on anything what are the most popular uses?

I never grew up out here so I don't really understand the whole thing but I LIKE HOT peppers.
Same here^ Being an East Coaster, I can't speak for all things chilie. Everyone always says that Hatch green chilies are the only green chilies. But whatever they are selling at Nicks are really really good. I actually think they ARE authentic chilies from the Hatch Valley.

Last year I got a bushel of chilies called Big Jims, which I think is an authentic Hatch chilie?? And I also got a bag of something else that I think was called Mirasol's. They were hotter IIRC.

I took them all home and started peeling them. I made few pots of Pork Green Chilie that we used over everything..... eggs, tortilla chips, burritos, or just straight up in the bowl!

I've realized I like Pork Green Chilie without tomatoes. Its a green/clear color as opposed to the red color you get from using tomato's in the recipe. I used some for making Chile Relleno and some for topping chicken/burgers. I sliced and froze the rest in freezer bags for use later on. I use it as the pepper in a sausage, pepper and onion dish too.

Good advice on wearing plastic gloves and not touching anything. My fingers burned for two days after I got finished peeling. This year, I'll buy double what I had last year. They're that good.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM

Curiosity just got the best of me. I called Nicks to find out what they have.

Their chilies come from Hatch, Pueblo and Brighton depending on the variety of the chilie. They have them right now and she said Labor Day weekend is usually when they peak. They are $35 per roasted bushel. There is a $3 off coupon in this link from the website. Good until the end of Sept!
http://www.nicksgardencenter.com/ebl...ly-25-2012.pdf

A bushel weighs about 25-30 lbs I think, so It's a good amount of chiles. They roast them, put them in a huge bag and put the bag in an apple crate/box.

Subzali, I don't know if it's a good idea to leave them in your truck all day after that, you may want to ask them? They will be hot and steaming up the bag causing condensation. I don't know if they'll go bad like that or not?

TLCA Social Media
Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I've realized I like Pork Green Chile without tomatoes. Its a green/clear color as opposed to the red color you get from using tomato's in the recipe. I used some for making Chile Relleno and some for topping chicken/burgers. I sliced and froze the rest in freezer bags for use later on. I use it as the pepper in a sausage, pepper and onion dish too.
Have you tried tomatillos instead of tomatoes? I think they add a sort of tangy taste, and keep the color of the concoction "pure" (I agree that red tomato chunks are a deterrent). They also combine with the chiles (and lots of cilantro) to make a great salsa.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Have you tried tomatillos instead of tomatoes? I think they add a sort of tangy taste, and keep the color of the concoction "pure" (I agree that red tomato chunks are a deterrent). They also combine with the chiles (and lots of cilantro) to make a great salsa.
I'll give them a try this year! I LOVE cilantro too. I put it in any soups/stews/salsas that I make.

TLCA Social Media
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Curiosity just got the best of me. I called Nicks to find out what they have.

Their chilies come from Hatch, Pueblo and Brighton depending on the variety of the chilie. They have them right now and she said Labor Day weekend is usually when they peak. They are $35 per roasted bushel. There is a $3 off coupon in this link from the website. Good until the end of Sept!
http://www.nicksgardencenter.com/ebl...ly-25-2012.pdf

A bushel weighs about 25-30 lbs I think, so It's a good amount of chiles. They roast them, put them in a huge bag and put the bag in an apple crate/box.

Subzali, I don't know if it's a good idea to leave them in your truck all day after that, you may want to ask them? They will be hot and steaming up the bag causing condensation. I don't know if they'll go bad like that or not?
I heard you're supposed to let them sweat for a bit, and the skin comes off easier. I'll ask them though to be sure.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Rising Sun member

Just brought back a bushel of Big Jims from Nick's. Yum

Thanks for the tip Stan!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

chili rellenos
mmmmm

Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I got the 411. Went down to federal and Louisiana in front of mercado. Location is highly recommended from some natives and roast really well.
TLCA#4180
Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I got the 411. Went down to federal and Louisiana in front of mercado. Location is highly recommended from some natives and roast really well.
We should have taken a picture of your trunk! That was cool! Melinda is adding them to into our eggs this morning... Hope we got the medium and not the dynamite..

Update.....wow those eggs had some kick..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 09-30-2012 at 08:15 AM.