Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Lifted

Default Couldn't help stranded 4x4 in High country..

While wheeling at the Crystal Lakes trail in the Summit County we came across two trucks 4Runner and Ford Pickup that were trying to get the Ford started in vane. They needed jumper cables - I didn't bring any this time.... I've cut the wires to my small 12V compressor to tried to give him the boost thorugh them but it did no good. Everytime he turned the ignition the started just clicked but wouldn't turn over. I thought it was his alternator and they were ready to head down to the valley to get a mobile mechanic up here, but then another truck came around and he had the beloved jumper cables and they got it re-started in no time.

Lesson learned - small wires won't provide enough juice to the other battery - they are of no use. At least carry jumpers or a spare battery if possible.

Question: how do you tell a simple battery problem from an alternator problem? Thought that clicking sound was a tell but apparently not...
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM

Start the truck that's running fine, leave it running and swap batteries between trucks. The good truck will charge the drained battery, and the old one will run on the good battery

1996 FZJ80
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahi View Post
Start the truck that's running fine, leave it running and swap batteries between trucks. The good truck will charge the drained battery, and the old one will run on the good battery
My thoughts exactly, any reason this wouldn't work, or will the car die with no battery?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
My thoughts exactly, any reason this wouldn't work, or will the car die with no battery?
I've done this- it's a little scary navigating through the open terminals but with a helper really nbd. Yes the good truck will run without any battery at all, most likely not a great idea long term but certainly ok in my head for as long as it takes to drop a drained battery into it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
You'll quickly know if the alternator is working or not - had this happen on the way home from skiing once...The alternator failed but we didn't know it at the time. On the drive home the headlights and accessories gradually drained the battery until the truck died coming down Vail Pass...The truck made it from the Beaver Creek area to the Copper Mountain exit and we managed to coast into the gas station there.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Lifted

While trying to hookup the wire to the terminals (with the truck running) I managed to loosen the connection on the (+) terminal too much and the truck died immediately. Had to hook it back up before it would start again, so I don't think my 80 can run without a battery in it...

Though I like the idea of a good truck's alternator charging the low battery for a while - I wonder how long you'd have to keep it running to get a meaningful charge into a low battery.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Caution on running with no battery... on some trucks including Toyota you can eat things alive.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Caution on running with no battery... on some trucks including Toyota you can eat things alive.
Right - I've read that on the Diesel forum: apparently the battery acts as a damper of some sort.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Swapping the batteries on running trucks might work on a '61 Chevy, but I wouldn't do it on a modern vehicle.

I wonder if you could remove an Optima (or any sealed battery) and flip it over and connect the + and - terminals to those of the dead battery (by holding the battery upside down and resting it atop the dead battery) and jump start it that way? You could impress all your friends with this technique, I'd think.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
<snip>

Question: how do you tell a simple battery problem from an alternator problem? Thought that clicking sound was a tell but apparently not...
Simplest way to know for sure is to carry along a Volt/Ohm meter. You can find usable ones at Walmart or Harbor Freight for less than $10 so one in each of your vehicles won't break the bank. Put one to good use on a Texas #eep last week on Red Cone - his guaranteed for life 170 amp O'Reilly alt had lasted less than a wheeling season. He was able to make it back to town on battery power.