Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Maddening Leak

I have a slight leak at the juncture of the water pump and the block on my FJ-40. Crazy thing is it only leaks after sitting, not when the engine is warm or running. I have tightened the water pump bolts and it reduced the amount, but it is still there. I am afraid I will have to pull the pump and replace the seal.
Anyone have this problem before? Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Rising Sun member

maybe the water pump is going bad? I believe there is a weep hole that will leak when the pump is going bad. I'd stay on the safe side and just replace the pump, even if it's fairly new. Bad things happen when water pumps seize.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think I've had every 2F water pump leak ever, including the pump-to-block. I would get an OEM gasket and put a little bit of FIP on each side of the gasket, and reinstall the pump. I suspect the cardboard gasket in there has died of old age.

If the pump shaft has no play and the bearings feel good, the pump itself probably still ok.

Some OEM '78-era FJ40 water pumps have been discontinued -I think you can only get a factory one that has the oil cooler fittings. My '78 does not have an oil cooler (it's not a Calif. model), so I don't know quite what I will do when the water pump dies. Some of the non-OEM pumps struck me as lame in the past - the output hose flange was glued onto the pump body, rather than being part of the casting.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

It is not leaking from the shaft or weep hole, just the gasket area pump to block. Now that I posted, it has stopped. Go figure.
Thanks for the suggestions. Steve's suggestion was what I was thinking too.
The engine was completely rebuilt about 3000 miles ago, but we did not install a new water pump at the time. I am certain we did install a new gasket. Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
maybe the water pump is going bad? I believe there is a weep hole that will leak when the pump is going bad. I'd stay on the safe side and just replace the pump, even if it's fairly new. Bad things happen when water pumps seize.
what he said..
if its leaking or seaping then its time to replace it. even if its just the gasket. replace the pump because you have to tear it apart anyway
Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
what he said..
if its leaking or seaping then its time to replace it. even if its just the gasket. replace the pump because you have to tear it apart anyway
I agree with your reasoning. Thanks, Terry