Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Rock Stacker

Cool Thinking about moving to CO

Sent over here from the BlueRoom and was told to post up here. Happy to be on here and meet some new people. I've ran my own 4x4 club (Jeep and Toyotas) out here in KY for the last 5 years so finding an active, family friendly club like the one I run (president and co-founder) now will be important is this move does take place.

Copied over to here:

Quote:
Ok, so short background on me. Born and raised in the Northern Kentucky area. Think 20 minutes south of Cincinnati, OH. Grew up here, friends are here, family is here, love it here. I have always been interested in the west coast though. I have met and talked to numerous people from CA, UT and CO. Everytime I talk to them or see pictures of where they live I get completely jealous and say "why can't I live there!"

So I got to thinking. Why can't I live out there? Well hell, Im young, I can live out there if I want to. I'm a 24 year old, college graduated, automotive salesperson (Chrysler Group). Single, no kids, no obligations, currently live in an apartment and have my yellow lab to keep me company.

The biggest thing for me is just up and leaving everything and everybody I know and moving to a place where everything, literally EVERYTHING will be new to me. The people, places, everything. But its one of those things where it feels like something I should do. I will continue to sell cars, make some new friends and continue wheeling but now in some of the nicest areas in the country.

This wouldn't happen until next spring or summer, but I want to start finding out information and contacting people early to get as much info as I can. So hence this thread. I need some info from the people of CO.

I'm thinking about moving to the Denver area. There are a couple really good dealership groups around the area that I could work at and continue to make great money. I would be renting an apartment but would like a complex that has garages to rent so I can work on my rig and keep my tools and other items in the garage (like I currently have). A condo would work as well if I can find one to rent for the first year.

Again, I'm single and have no real big responsibilities, but obviously don't want to break the bank either. Where are some good areas to look for someone like me? I want something nice and updated, but don't want to live in a shady part of town. I'm fine with a drive of 20 minutes or so to work if need be, so if its slightly out of town thats no problem. Also, if there are any dealership or dealer groups that anyone recommends I stay away from when applying places please let me know. There are a couple shady and not-so-honest dealers everywhere and I want to make sure to stay away from those places.

Where are some good areas for young people. Places to meet people and make some friends (other than the FJ peeps of course lol).

ANY info, recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated. Again, I am in the very early stages of researching but want to be fully knowledgable and ready before I take the plunge and drive 1200 miles west from my home

Thanks!!

-Brad
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

"Ihave always been interested in the west coast though. I have met and talked to numerous people from CA, UT and CO"

you realize you only have one state correct if you're interested in the coast, right? we're a loooonnnnngggggg way away from the coasts.

because of our wonderful weather, you won't find a lot of mid range apartments with garages, especially ones big enough to work on anything in. don't know about high range apts...never looked at those. you'd be better off finding a house to rent with a garage. sometimes home rental isn't that much more than apts and you get many more benefits
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Rock Stacker

I wasn't actually referring to the "coast" lol More of out west. I live in KY but consider this the east coast lol

Anyway, after doing some research it looks like the option of renting a house might be where its at. Garage, my own space and all that for not more more than a nice apartment.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hi Brad. Welcome to Rising Sun. Your story is similar to many folks, and how they ended up on Colorado. Being young and single, this is the perfect time to give it a try. You may decide in 2 years that Kentucky is the place to be, or 15 years from now you'll still be in Colorado with no regrets.

As for "where" - that's a tough call. The Denver area tends to be divided by "north" and "south", and it's not that fun to live on one side and have a job on the other. Lots of traffic and it could be an hour or more each way. Since we're mostly Toyota folks, there are several Toyota dealerships on the south side, and a couple on the north side. But dealerships tend to be clustered, so I'm sure there are Chrysler shops as well. And young folks are all over town, maybe more concentrated closer to downtown and some of the older neighborhood. But if you are looking for an apartment with a garage, you'll probably have to look at the suburbs.

Maybe you should come out to Denver for a long weekend and poke around a bit and see what tickles your fancy. You might like the hippies and manic outdoor life around Boulder, or maybe the yuppies around LoDo (do people still use the term "yuppie"?), or down south around Englewood or Centennial where you are close to the DTC (tech center) where there are tons of people and jobs.

And we have a RS member that moved here from Kentucky a few years ago. I'm sure he could give you some advice - send a PM to Art Volmer on the forum and see what he thinks.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

You will not be disappointed with your move. It's been 12 years for me & I'm still finding new places to explore. I'm originally from the West Coast & I never want to go back. We're currently in SW Littleton renting a house and we really like it. We'll most likely be purchasing a house in the area when our lease is up. I'm with Ige regarding a house, most apartments don't have garages here. Regarding dealerships, most here would refer you to Stevenson Toyota. Good luck.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Rising Sun member

Hey Brad, good to hear you're thinking of making the plunge out west! We've got a great club here in Denver, and great Toyota dealerships!

I live a few minutes from Go Toyota on Arapahoe Road, and this southern part of town - the Centennial, Greenwood Village Area (also called the "tech center") is pretty convenient for a lot of things. A couple decent representative apartment complexes in the area are Stratford Station and Sterling Point. Stratford Station doesn't have a garage, but I think the other does. The thing you'll need to know about renting in Denver is it's not cheap. Put together a budget to include that extra expense.

With you wanting to spend time in the mountains, you might want to check out Golden, Lakewood, and Littleton as well. Stevinson Toyota West is a good dealership (host of our monthly meetings) and there are many apartments with garages such as The Heights at Marston Lake to look at.

You could also look at the Louisville/Boulder area. College town, cute girls, close the mountains . Boulder Toyota is a good dealership too. Good luck!

Regarding the north/south thing, there's also an east/west divide, which is approximately east and west of I-25. Once you get onto the east side of I-25, you're starting to get a pretty decent distance away from the mountains, so weekend trips, skiing, all of that will cost you extra time to drive each way. Aurora is a suburb on the east side of I-25 that is a little more affordable to live in, but it doesn't have the best reputation for being a good place to live, unless you're in the southern portion, but you're basically in Kansas at that point .

Keep in mind that generally traffic flows into and out of downtown on a daily basis. So if you live on the west side you'll be stuck in traffic getting into downtown in the morning and getting home in the afternoon (and travelling into the sun both ways too BTW). If you live on the east side you'll be stuck in traffic but you won't be staring at the sun. Something to think about.

Also, from Fort Collins down to Pueblo is generally known as the Front Range. Just a term to keep in mind.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM

BRADDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!

You, sir, didn't waste time posting over here. Make sure and also ask who has the best and hottest hot wings in the Denver area.

Also, make sure when you start looking for a job that they will give you time off for Cruise Moab (first weekend in May along with the Thursday and Friday prior to it). This is priority. Otherwise, no deal.

TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

south sucks...go north
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
BRADDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!

You, sir, didn't waste time posting over here. Make sure and also ask who has the best and hottest hot wings in the Denver area.

Also, make sure when you start looking for a job that they will give you time off for Cruise Moab (first weekend in May along with the Thursday and Friday prior to it). This is priority. Otherwise, no deal.

Shut your mouth James! lol

And yeah, who has the bestest and most awesomest hottest wings in the area? I'm a wing guy

As far as time off, I think I'm going to move out probably in the beginning of May or June and take a month or 2 off to take in everything, get settled in...and well....wheel!!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

in the car biz for a long time, if you make the move let me know where you think you want to work, I can give you the skinny and a contact or two.