Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Hi Brad. Welcome to Rising Sun. Your story is similar to many folks, and how they ended up on Colorado. Being young and single, this is the perfect time to give it a try. You may decide in 2 years that Kentucky is the place to be, or 15 years from now you'll still be in Colorado with no regrets.

As for "where" - that's a tough call. The Denver area tends to be divided by "north" and "south", and it's not that fun to live on one side and have a job on the other. Lots of traffic and it could be an hour or more each way. Since we're mostly Toyota folks, there are several Toyota dealerships on the south side, and a couple on the north side. But dealerships tend to be clustered, so I'm sure there are Chrysler shops as well. And young folks are all over town, maybe more concentrated closer to downtown and some of the older neighborhood. But if you are looking for an apartment with a garage, you'll probably have to look at the suburbs.

Maybe you should come out to Denver for a long weekend and poke around a bit and see what tickles your fancy. You might like the hippies and manic outdoor life around Boulder, or maybe the yuppies around LoDo (do people still use the term "yuppie"?), or down south around Englewood or Centennial where you are close to the DTC (tech center) where there are tons of people and jobs.

And we have a RS member that moved here from Kentucky a few years ago. I'm sure he could give you some advice - send a PM to Art Volmer on the forum and see what he thinks.
I am planning a trip now to come out and check out the area. I'm trying to decide when the trip should be. I would like to do it sometime before the new year but don't obviously want to come out during the holidays. Was thinking maybe the first week in December? I would like to come out, check out the different areas and just take it all in. Any recommendation on when I should plan this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
You will not be disappointed with your move. It's been 12 years for me & I'm still finding new places to explore. I'm originally from the West Coast & I never want to go back. We're currently in SW Littleton renting a house and we really like it. We'll most likely be purchasing a house in the area when our lease is up. I'm with Ige regarding a house, most apartments don't have garages here. Regarding dealerships, most here would refer you to Stevenson Toyota. Good luck.
After doing some research I am really leaning towards renting a house. I have been looking (and advised) to look in the south denver area, such as littleton and englewood. Any advice about that area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Hey Brad, good to hear you're thinking of making the plunge out west! We've got a great club here in Denver, and great Toyota dealerships!

I live a few minutes from Go Toyota on Arapahoe Road, and this southern part of town - the Centennial, Greenwood Village Area (also called the "tech center") is pretty convenient for a lot of things. A couple decent representative apartment complexes in the area are Stratford Station and Sterling Point. Stratford Station doesn't have a garage, but I think the other does. The thing you'll need to know about renting in Denver is it's not cheap. Put together a budget to include that extra expense.

With you wanting to spend time in the mountains, you might want to check out Golden, Lakewood, and Littleton as well. Stevinson Toyota West is a good dealership (host of our monthly meetings) and there are many apartments with garages such as The Heights at Marston Lake to look at.

You could also look at the Louisville/Boulder area. College town, cute girls, close the mountains . Boulder Toyota is a good dealership too. Good luck!

Regarding the north/south thing, there's also an east/west divide, which is approximately east and west of I-25. Once you get onto the east side of I-25, you're starting to get a pretty decent distance away from the mountains, so weekend trips, skiing, all of that will cost you extra time to drive each way. Aurora is a suburb on the east side of I-25 that is a little more affordable to live in, but it doesn't have the best reputation for being a good place to live, unless you're in the southern portion, but you're basically in Kansas at that point .

Keep in mind that generally traffic flows into and out of downtown on a daily basis. So if you live on the west side you'll be stuck in traffic getting into downtown in the morning and getting home in the afternoon (and travelling into the sun both ways too BTW). If you live on the east side you'll be stuck in traffic but you won't be staring at the sun. Something to think about.

Also, from Fort Collins down to Pueblo is generally known as the Front Range. Just a term to keep in mind.
Thanks for the info! If I was so educated on Chrysler products and did so well with selling them I would consider a Toyota dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
south sucks...go north
Now I've heard the exact OPPOSITE! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
in the car biz for a long time, if you make the move let me know where you think you want to work, I can give you the skinny and a contact or two.

That would be great man! I currently work for a one-store family dealership. We average with 8 sales people about 70-75 new a month. The biggest thing I love about my store is that we are very honest, and friendly. I would love a place like that out there. I have worked for the large, shady, "if I could would you" kind of places and prefer not to treat customers like animals. If you have any info or recommendations at all I will take them to the heart! Thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

I personally don't care for the city life on the front range. You should plan some time to check out some smaller communities too like Grand Junction. Plenty of car business there. Also if your a skier you'll fast grow to hate I70 living in Denver. I did the car business for 6 years in the small towns. Way less hours
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

ya, if I was starting fresh I'd completely agree with Corbet, lots of better areas of the state to be in than the front rage
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

we just moved up here from san diego this past february. absolutely love it. no second thoughts and absolutely no desire to go back to CA for any reason. we're aren't necessarily in my ideal neighborhood but my wife and daughters love it and the school is great. personally, i'd love to be down near durango/silverton/telluride area. absolutely love it down there.

skiing might be interesting this winter but i bought an epic pass and my work schedule is pretty flexible so i'll be doing mostly mid week half day trips.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

lived in englewood for years. wouldn't live there now. crime's gotten worse and the traffic at any time has gotten hideous. hampden ave is a joke.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I hear montbello is nice. cheap and lots of night life. You have good access to I70 too
TLCA#4180
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I hear montbello is nice. cheap and lots of night life. You have good access to I70 too
Ditto

97 LX450
Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Access to I-70 is not the issue. Its the bottle neck from Golden to Vail. But we have a separate thread for that mess.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Do you play Fantasy Football? We're one short for a league that was supposed to start last week, but we couldn't get it full.

And....I have a good buddy that I work with who is from KY, now living in Evergreen. Just a little older than you. I wheeled with him today on Red Cone (his first time on that trail). He's got a super built Jeep. Once we got to the top of RC, he said he would NEVER go back to KY, even though his entire family is there....... it's just too nice here.

It's hard to leave home, and then sometimes it's hard to go back. We love it here and don't plan on leaving.
Attached Images

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I personally don't care for the city life on the front range. You should plan some time to check out some smaller communities too like Grand Junction. Plenty of car business there. Also if your a skier you'll fast grow to hate I70 living in Denver. I did the car business for 6 years in the small towns. Way less hours
I've been looking at all the areas but really like Denver. Again, I need to come out and check it out, but thats the way I am leaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
ya, if I was starting fresh I'd completely agree with Corbet, lots of better areas of the state to be in than the front rage
Where would you recommend and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
lived in englewood for years. wouldn't live there now. crime's gotten worse and the traffic at any time has gotten hideous. hampden ave is a joke.
That bad? I have a good Jeep buddy of mine who lives in Englewood. I'll have to pick his brain on what he thinks. Any better parts south of the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I just did a quick look of Montbello. Looks like there is a nice wildlife area there. That would be nice. But it also looks like the airport is pretty damn close too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Do you play Fantasy Football? We're one short for a league that was supposed to start last week, but we couldn't get it full.

And....I have a good buddy that I work with who is from KY, now living in Evergreen. Just a little older than you. I wheeled with him today on Red Cone (his first time on that trail). He's got a super built Jeep. Once we got to the top of RC, he said he would NEVER go back to KY, even though his entire family is there....... it's just too nice here.

It's hard to leave home, and then sometimes it's hard to go back. We love it here and don't plan on leaving.
I don't play fantasy football. Just the real, hit someone hard, kinda football. But thanks anyway! Yeah, thats what I think is going to happen. I would really like to set up a vaca that when I come out there might be a group that is wheeling that day that I could tag along with to get some views of the areas around. I'll pay for some fuel and lunch