Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Lifted

For someone your age and single, boulder or fort Collins is the place to be. Also don't forget Durango.

I am a California transplant via Georgia, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, and finally Denver. I can't think of a better state to live. Make the move, you won't regret it.

powered by an all-aluminum 335hp L33 Vortec V8

2004 Kona Stinky dee-lux.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

they're joking about montghetto. it's not a great neighborhood either, but at least you can drive in and out of there. i hate the entire south denver section. traffic sucks and it's full of pretentious pricks in bmws and audis. i'd go broomfield in denver metro area, or better still, farther up the i-25 corridor (longmont/loveland) for the front range.

ideally, i'd be on the western slope tho.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the heads up about montbello. Messin' with me already huh? lol :thefinger:

Some people from other forums have suggested Boulder as a good place for a young person. Good area?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Trail Ready

Boulder is awesome, don't let the haters tell you other wise. I went to WKU & lived in bowling green for roughly 10 years. Come visit boulder & I'll help give you the grand tour.
Best
Abe
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Rock Stacker

I went to UK for a couple years and then graduated from NKU (Northern KY). WKU has the nicest campus in the state tho! I dated a chick who went there while I was at UK.

From what I have been hearing, Boulder will be on the list when I do come out for my visit. I will have to take you up on that offer and very much appreciate it as well!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

I split time (now 90% North but used to be almost 90% south) for work
both have positive attributes.

I went to high school in Arvada, college at CU boulder

have lived basically in north denver, westminster, and now far west arvada/golden south of boulder

each respective area has its own own charm and 'pluses' ....
if I was single with no kids I'd live near sloan's lake somewhere, a bit slightly north and east of there probably...then I'd move once that changed :-)

I echo the 'come visit and see what you like' sentiment, there's a lot that the 'front range' has to offer.

Ige's right, if you live in boulder you better own a subaru or volkswagen and if you live in highlands ranch you better own an audi or better and spend too much money on soccer or lacrosse... kidding...just kidding...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Rock Stacker

I drive a lifted FJ, covered in stickers, dent and wrinkles in the driver doors and will jam to country music and fly my UK Basketball flag. I should fit right in
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

My 2cents

People that live north love it (for the most part)...people that live south love it (for the most part)

But as mentioned getting from the north to the south and vice versa sucks most of the time due to traffic, unless you just like to drive...or sit in traffic

Boulder is nice but I wouldn't want to live there unless I worked up in the area. IMO the traffic up there is no better than anywhere else and getting from there to anywhere east and south equals a long commute. Hwy 36 always seems like gridlock.

Golden is nice (smaller town feel) but again getting east and south can be a bit frustrating but nowhere near as bad as Boulder.

Englewood? There are good portions of Englewood and bad portions. There are nice areas of Littleton, Centennial, Lakewood, etc. Don't forget the Castle Rock area as well.

Point being...once you land a job look for something relatively close to where you'll work if you can. There are a LOT of dealerships in the Denver metro area...Few are family owned though unless they are more specialty or used car dealerships. You might find somewhere similar to where you work now in Grand Junction or other smaller towns but I don't know if any exist in the Denver metro area...

Being in car sales I'd think you'd want to be in a larger city. Colorado Springs isn't bad. Grand Junction isn't bad either. Different weather on the west slope (Grand Junction) vs. eastern slope/plains (Denver, Ft Collins, Colorado Springs). Of course if you love the outdoors then a mountain town might be ideal.

Don't let the Highlands Ranch haters scare you away - Sure we spend a lot on our kids' sports like soccer but if you like to hike, ride bikes, etc. it has a lot to offer. But IMO it is a more "family oriented" section of the metro area than other areas...Not a lot of "night life" down this way
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Rising Sun member

The Springs is full of Air Force dudes (i.e. high competition), and while you're young and single I wouldn't consider Castle Rock. Great family town though.

Another area to look in Denver is around Washington Park. Lots of young adults, more volleyball games than you can shake a stick at during the summer. Rent is pretty high, and you have to like the semi-urban lifestyle, but it's close to DU so there's lots of college and post-college chicks around there too

If I worked in Golden, I would love to live there. But there's a saying about Mines girls...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

I moved here from NC (originally from ATL) and can shed some insight on Colorado from an east coaster's perspective.

It's dry dry dry here. That's really why I left the south, I just couldn't take the humidity any longer. But....when we go months with no rain, and the mountains are all brown, it is a little depressing compared to the smokies.

The people moving here from California always love it. They are used to the brown, and they are moving away from the congestion, the cost, and the radical politics of Kali. They tend to wind up with similar weather, but a much better lifestyle. Call it California lite, with Boulder being a bit more like Kali than Denver.

People moving here from where you are tend to struggle more. It costs more here, it can be more congested (depends on which city you are moving from) particularly if you like the mountains and try to make that commute every weekend. I-70 through the hills can be a real beotch quite often. Factor in an entire family left behind, and I see lots of people move back within a few years.

At your age, I would try it out. Lots of people your age are....some stay, some go. As sub said, washington park is incredible for your age group. I live right down the street and wished I had known about that place when I was young and single. Rent here is stiff tho....my first rental house was $1600/mo and that was a DEAL.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL