Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

I don't think your heading off topic in the least and if you were, so what. It's your club and forum too... I See your cups of coffee and raise you one..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 12-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Seems like G Wagons sell here and they cost even more, so why wouldn't an 80k cruiser sell? There are plenty of rich trophy wives that need expensive mall cruisers.
G classes sell in roughly 200 series annual numbers, both of which are fractions of Tacomas and probably close to the weekly Corolla/Civic sales.

G Wagon

200 Series

Taco
Attached Images

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Wasatch Cruisers

Great comments guys.

I think Toyota has the 200 Series here because they have to have a flag-ship, top of the line, cream of the crop. Here in the US it only comes completely loaded and catered towards the luxury price tag. I think that is a big reason Toyota skipped the US with the newer 7x models, those in the market for a $80k Cruiser are not going to choose the model with a manual trans, a smell diesel and no seat heaters The 200 is a very capable vehicle and I think as price drop it will be a near identical transition for 100 Series owners just as 100's were for many, many 80's. The limited US sales numbers will limit that to some degree but I think Cruiserheads will buy them up as budgets allow. Having built a handful of them for customers, I'd own one in a heartbeat if I could afford to, in the meantime the 100 will have to do

Again, I'm a huge, huge fan of the 70 Series rigs, I have a BJ74 that I absolutely love, spent a grip of time driving the 78's and 79's in the US, Russia and Aussie and do think they are the most Land Cruiser product Toyota offers... I just don't know that that they would work here in the US on the scale Toyota would need them to at the price Toyota has to have for them?

Older 7x's (25+ year and even some younger grey markets) are widely available here stateside but people balk at the $15-25k price range they fetch. I think they would feel the same way if Toyota had a $60k GRJ76, it would be compared to the Jeep JK by the masses.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
...If you are a woman in this country, would you rather have a LC 70-series with it's relatively spartan/dated designs, or a Mercedes/Audi/Porsche?
I don't think it only applies to women. I had never seen the 76 series from the rear, but I agree with your statement above. I'm not too impressed with it. Personally I like the looks of the new 4runner a lot better, and the looks of the 80 and (gasp) the 100 better too.

A VDJ79 pickup would be pretty sweet though.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
Great comments guys.

I think Toyota has the 200 Series here because they have to have a flag-ship, top of the line, cream of the crop. Here in the US it only comes completely loaded and catered towards the luxury price tag. I think that is a big reason Toyota skipped the US with the newer 7x models, those in the market for a $80k Cruiser are not going to choose the model with a manual trans, a smell diesel and no seat heaters The 200 is a very capable vehicle and I think as price drop it will be a near identical transition for 100 Series owners just as 100's were for many, many 80's. The limited US sales numbers will limit that to some degree but I think Cruiserheads will buy them up as budgets allow. Having built a handful of them for customers, I'd own one in a heartbeat if I could afford to, in the meantime the 100 will have to do

Again, I'm a huge, huge fan of the 70 Series rigs, I have a BJ74 that I absolutely love, spent a grip of time driving the 78's and 79's in the US, Russia and Aussie and do think they are the most Land Cruiser product Toyota offers... I just don't know that that they would work here in the US on the scale Toyota would need them to at the price Toyota has to have for them?

Older 7x's (25+ year and even some younger grey markets) are widely available here stateside but people balk at the $15-25k price range they fetch. I think they would feel the same way if Toyota had a $60k GRJ76, it would be compared to the Jeep JK by the masses.
Kurt you are closer to this than most of us... Your last comment is what I wonder about, with the popularity of the Jeep and I don't know the numbers for sales, but it makes you wonder why Toyota would not want their share of that market, especially with the popularity of the FJC.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Wasatch Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Kurt you are closer to this than most of us... Your last comment is what I wonder about, with the popularity of the Jeep and I don't know the numbers for sales, but it makes you wonder why Toyota would not want their share of that market, especially with the popularity of the FJC.
I can only assume the brains in Toyota have figured that the potential profit they would make by gaining some share of that market (albeit a small number at $60k+) is outweighed by the cost of entry for a new platform in the US market. I remember talking to a Toyota exec about the cost of roll-out for a new model, this isn't anything related to the actual cost of the vehicle/production but things like training, sales material, parts inventory, EPA/DOT testing, tariffs/taxes, etc and it was a pretty wild number. We were discussing why the 200 has been a low seller in the US and why its a $80k vehicle. Of course maybe they just do it to torture us
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think Kurt just hit it on the head. Setting aside the price point. There must be enough demand to justify training all the dealerships in both sales and service to introduce the vehicle state side. Granted that could be lessened with the use of a shared drivetrain. But for the diesels that would required a large investment by Toyota. All we can hope IMO is that Toyota decides to go diesel with truck based vehicle to make their cafe numbers in the near future. Making the VDJ76 an easier transition down the road. But it looks like we are destined for more hybrid vehicles from Toyota and probably just gas trucks for a while.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
pickups and troopies aren't practical for a family either. The only one is the 4 door.
Check out what I found at Toyota of Gibraltar.... I think this is a new offering...

Also it has been confirmed, 2014 is the last year for the FJC, there is a thread over in the Expo Portal about it and Scott Brady mentioned something about the Globalization of the auto industry and what does that mean for us and the 70 series????

Would be awesome to have these available... dreaming i Know.

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
But it looks like we are destined for more hybrid vehicles from Toyota and probably just gas trucks for a while.
This is correct. I spoke to a Lexus service manager last month who has been with Lexus since the brand originated and there are no plans to bring a diesel to the US and cannibalize hybrid sales.

I do believe we will see more and more diesel's from other brands making it to the US, in fact VW has a diesel hybrid sedan in the works. Once domestic manufacturer's start putting a 3.0 diesel in full size pickups, SUV's and seeing 30 MPG +, being able to tow 9K and there is an adoption here in the US for diesel powered sedans upsetting the hybrid market you will then see Toyota import diesel powered vehicles.

It's all about market share and $.

______
Old 06-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
This is correct. I spoke to a Lexus service manager last month who has been with Lexus since the brand originated and there are no plans to bring a diesel to the US and cannibalize hybrid sales.

I do believe we will see more and more diesel's from other brands making it to the US, in fact VW has a diesel hybrid sedan in the works. Once domestic manufacturer's start putting a 3.0 diesel in full size pickups, SUV's and seeing 30 MPG +, being able to tow 9K and there is an adoption here in the US for diesel powered sedans upsetting the hybrid market you will then see Toyota import diesel powered vehicles.

It's all about market share and $.
Hopefully that will be around the time I am ready to get a new rig...
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics