Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 09-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default The moto tire thread

A forum isn't complete without tire-talk.

I need a new rear tire for the 450. I've gone through several Dunlop D606 tires and want to try something different. There seem to be a bunch of people running the Pirelli MT43 trials tire with good results. It's even DOT rated. I'm wondering what kind of life I can get out of it 50/50 off road/on road.

I'm also looking at trying a Pirelli Pro Scorpian in the front.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun member

Yep, I'm in need of a new rear tire. I would suspect the trials tire wouldn't last long on the street.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I would think that Pirelli would last longer than your typical knobby, given that it's got more of them. Plus I bet it's quieter on the highway... is that what Tim's running on his KTM?

Maybe get one and put on your spare rim, then with somewhat minimal work you could do a side by side comparison? Would make for a fun Vail camping activity, perhaps...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Pretty good review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/19...re-Review.aspx

Quote:
Grip over rocks, roots, hardpack and even mud is, for the most part, on par or superior to full knobbies. When the tire is rotating, the closely spaced lugs are actually good at self-cleaning, but we found slippery downhills where the rear tire locks up fairly often is the biggest weakness.
Another one http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398746

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've gone through 4 of the pirellie pro scorpion rears to my one pro scorpion front. I like the front and it has lasted a little while but I really try to stay off of the front brake on road.

The rears stick something fierce but the last me about 300 miles before they are so worn they start to suck off road. Maxxis makes a desert type tire that I am thinking of trying since it is tougher. The rocks around here seem to chew up the tires and I am hoping that might help that it is a desert tire... That and it was suggested to me by a friend who rides around boulder a lot.

Interestingly, I had a 606 sitting around that I threw in the 525 while my brother was in town and it did better than the worn out scorpion pulled off. It has worn great also.. Only reason I am tempted to go with the desert maxxis tire is that I am hoping it performs better than the 606 without lugs ripping off like the scorpion. That 606 rear kinda sucks on slimy trails too.

Fwiw, the crf230f has a 606 on the front with some other no name rear tire and my mom washed out on it and crashed a few weeks ago while she was here. No real damage to her, but I think it speaks a bit for that front tire. Not necessarily the best front out there.
82 FJ40
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

As far as the trials tires go, i think a saw a thread in adv where Pablo83 was running one and the tread de-laminated? Is that common? I like to ride fast on the road sections so I'd worry at least a little about that..

Here's the maxxis:

https://www.denniskirk.com/rear-dese...re.p642971.prd
82 FJ40
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Did you see the picture of the trials tire on one guy's bike after the Walden trip? I think it was posted on ADV. He wasn't just missing a few lugs - it was like the tire was scalped. I'm not convinced...

The Maxxis desert tire is appealing to me as well - I might try one of those next in the rear.

The Scorpions are popular, but obviously there are dozens of different models so it's important to state of you have one of the MX's or the new XC's that are DOT legal. I mounted the XC mid-hard on both front and rear a couple months ago (good reviews, stiff sidewalls, plus the DOT legal aspect since I'm on the pavement some), and I'm pretty happy with the rear tire for what we've ridden. But after 500 miles on the rear tire, the center lugs are showing wear. No chance it'll last as long as a 606, but I'm hoping for better life than the softer MX options.

I don't like the Scorpion XC front I have - seems squirrelly (hops around a bit) on higher speed sections. I might try something different up there. When I was doing some internet research, there were good reviews on the Dunlop 755 and 756.

Good thread choice.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here's that picture of the trials tire - Looks like it was Dunlop rather than a Pirelli.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=376
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

you guys all ride dual sport?

I run dirt only, so I run Bridgestone M404's in the rear and 403's in the front, and I found it to be far better traction wise than the Dunlop 756 I used to run in the front and MX51 rear.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Mostly dirt for me, but there's some road time to get to the trail or between trails.

I had an M59 (which I think was the predecessor to the M403) on the front before the Pirelli. I kinda miss it....