Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

bike needs to be on a stand so the front hangs.

when the top caps are loose, lift the front wheel slightly and the springs should come up enough that you can undo the top cap from the top of the spring. The top caps not only thread into the fork tubes, but also the spring holder thinggie. I think i had to grind a wrench down to fit above the compressed coil and on a locking nut of some sort.

Once that was unthreaded, the coil lifted out. pull it out slowly so the oil drips off of it. It is also a good time to check fork oil level.

assemble with some plastic spacers that preload the spring, more for more preload, less for less and move to the next side.
82 FJ40
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Well I guess the Broncos wanted me to work on the bike tonight after all. So I got the springs swapped, it was a real pain trying to cram a wrench in there, my HF 22mm is too small for that nut, and I don't have a 23, the 15/16 barely held it though Here's my setup, it worked until things got aggressive then I swapped the one 2x4 for an older bike battery, which was a little more stable.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I then decided I need to swap the rear spring again. Removed the stock 80-250 spring, and put in the 90-260 that Bruce gave me. Much better, that light spring was compressing like half the travel just coming down off the stand, and that was with 8 turns of preload. This other spring only compresses about half that, and with only 3 turns of preload. (that heavy spring barely even compressed with just the bike weight).

I think I'm good for a ride now, at least I can squish the forks down in front now, and I can actually compress the back by bouncing on it. I'm sure some fine tuning is in order, but hey at least it's rideable now. Oh, and it's true you can pull the rear shock without even taking the tire off... my total time for tonight's spring swap was about 25 minutes. If I were to get a spanner wrench I could likely shave a little bit off that.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

took a quick ride around the block, cool. feels pretty close to Marco's, maybe a little bit squishier? The front end actually dives down when you slam the front brake now, feels like a dirt bike again.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Cool. You get that basement finished yet? The riding is prime right now before the snow flies.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I got carpet ordered.. we'll get there.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

see, it wasn't that hard... I used a 15/16 wrench too.

hopefully my posted instructions didn't leave you guessing too much.

The manual states how many turns to give the rear spring to preload it before you move to setting sag by measuring. I forgot what it was supposed to be. did you set it according to that?

Checking sag is super easy.... you just need a helper to hold the tape and read a number while you sit on it.
82 FJ40