Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default '77 40

Worth $10K? 78K miles, always garaged, desmogged, never been offroad, recent exterior repaint, etc.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Couple more pics. Second owner has had it for 30 years and bought it from a Toyota dealer service manager. He retired last year - an 84 year old banker and it was used as his pheasant hunting truck. I guess I should have said it hasn't been wheeled but has been on dirt roads. Has MAF header. Original hard top was damaged when a tree limb fell on it so the Bestop is it. No rust anywhere. Check out "Hubs Locked" magnetic sign on heater! Upside down for when they aren't. Cute and yes, the bezel is upside down.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

probably easily worth 10K

nice jeep
Old 09-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice rig Steve. Did you buy it?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun member

Could be worth that much, especially if really no rust and with the low miles (are they documented?). Repaint the rear frame black like it's supposed to be, and paint the bumperettes pewter and you're good to go. Bummer it doesn't have a hardtop, those are getting pretty expensive...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jeremy, you are too funny! Haven't bought it, but you know how it goes, the more you think and talk about it, things happen. Haven't owned a 40 since the two I had between '73 and '77 but this one grabbed my eye as it is so clean. Just got off the phone with the owner and he says he has some spare parts and the original wheels. How difficult is it to resmog this vehicle or should I just register it in a different - non-Denver - county?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
probably easily worth 10K

nice jeep
Old 09-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Rising Sun member

'77-specific smog parts are hard to find, if you don't want to pay $OR prices. Even SOR doesn't have everything all the time. The smog pump and EGR cooler and valve aren't too hard, but the VSVs and VTV are unique to that model year. Does it have the original carb on it? '77 carbs are hard to find too for some reason...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
'77-specific smog parts are hard to find, if you don't want to pay $OR prices. Even SOR doesn't have everything all the time. The smog pump and EGR cooler and valve aren't too hard, but the VSVs and VTV are unique to that model year. Does it have the original carb on it? '77 carbs are hard to find too for some reason...
Matt, keep the reality check info coming and everyone else too! Good bargaining material. I can only guess that the carb is original. I've even heard that the original Toyota radio for that year has become a high dollar item on eBay.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I personally think it looks sweet.

my concerns would be the following.

As Matt mentioned, resmogging. This could prove difficult but a quick search to see what the replacement bit would cost and the availability would answer that question. Certainly having the option of registering in a non testing county would be nice, but your resale might suffer still. depends on what your plans are for it. not sure what that system looked like or else I could give more specific estimated costs, but if it had a smog pump those are expensive. People now have finally switched from desmogging and giving away smog bits, to resmogging/maintaining so these bits are getting pricey and hard to find.

Rust. you know this of course, but I'd make sure it is relatively rust free. the paint job could have been part of body work that was done to hide stuff. pretty easy to tell though since it will be that damned rear sill that is rusty and a look from underneath would show it's true colors. same with the rear fenders. are all the seams original looking? Again, I figure you know all this stuff but maybe it is worth mentioning.

The top. I wanted a hard top with mine and bought it with only a soft top. I had to look for a while for a hard top that was complete with good ambi doors. initially folks would say that tops were easy to find, but it wasn't for me. AND the ambi doors pull a PREMIUM. this may or not be important. it added a lot of $$ to my investment though. Actually for some reason I feel like the lack of top might not make it worth 10k for me, but again if this is not important for you than maybe no big deal.

Otherwise I think it is a sweet rig, I mean it is probably relatively rust free, and in my book that might trump any thing else. It'd mean you wouldn't be tempted to go to work on it and instead you could enjoy it immediatly without stopping. that's worth a lot to me now that i got my project 40.
82 FJ40
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

if it were smogable...probably worth it if it's really that clean, since it has things like original wheels available. why is the front door not closing correctly tho?
ige tlca #1431