Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 09-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Rock Stacker

Its a little out of your price range (ok a lot out of your range), but my next do all bike is going to be a Salsa Fargo. It not a touring bike, its not a commuter, it not a mountain bike, its not a rode bike. They call it an adventure bike. I rode one at ubike the other day and it was amazingly agile and responsive. And stupid simple which I like. Im saving my pennies now, but I think by next weekend Ill be commuting one this cycle.

http://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/
Old 09-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Salsa Fargo is what has been called monster 'cross for a while now. Some people build 26" MTB frames others use 'cross frame with big clearance. They are popular on the gravel grinders and for a lot of other things. Pretty cool concept.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...a/11502/55837/
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The Salsa Fargo is what has been called monster 'cross for a while now. Some people build 26" MTB frames others use 'cross frame with big clearance. They are popular on the gravel grinders and for a lot of other things. Pretty cool concept.
my cross is an old 'dale with a head shock. 1.5" of travel and lockable. (also rebuildable) I will take this bike to my grave.

With an extra set of wheels, you're pretty well set with this type of set up.

long wheelbase for comfort, high bottom bracket for clearance, and relaxed geometry for carrying a load.

My only soap box item for commuters - remember there are only two types of lights out there. those that help YOU see, and those that are for being "seen". PLEASE go with the first. These systems are pricy, but they will save your life.

nite rider, vistalight and others make true headlight systems with on board batteries

john (johnny) henley
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
...My only soap box item for commuters - remember there are only two types of lights out there. those that help YOU see, and those that are for being "seen". PLEASE go with the first. These systems are pricy, but they will save your life.

nite rider, vistalight and others make true headlight systems with on board batteries
This is good advice. About seven years ago, I made a homebrew light system that worked pretty good - with the advancements made in battery and lumen output I would recommend buying versus building.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think if I were to build a commuter It'd be something comfortable, cheap, with fenders and gears.

Maybe a generator hub on the front and an internally geared hub in the back.

Lights would be pretty permanent to keep it easy.

Any frame that is comfortable would be a good start but I kind of like the big wheels as commuter road wheels since they seem to roll nice so an ex cross bike as mentioned above would be neat.

If I were on a budget, I'd pick up Matt's bike or another craigslist bike like was shown before, throw some planet bike panniers and fenders on it, and some slick city tires and be done. If the drive train takes a crap, then go SS, otherwise keep the gears. Run a light you can charge at work, or one that will make it both ways on your commute and have a nice tail light.

I have one of these and like it. I can MTB with it in the woods alright too (somewhat of a guessing game at speed) but it really is awesome for riding street at night. yo ucan turn it down so it is not as blinding and the rubber strap makes it easy to aim up and down to keep it out of on coming drivers/bikers eyes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!A2D636H8Cb...Fao7Mgodx3sAkg

fenders:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Planet-Bike-Full-Fenders

rack:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Racks/Plane...rack-WHardware

and scrounge up some bags to use as panniers and strap a milk crate to the top of the rack.

Hell, weld up your own kick ass rear rack that does it like you want it.
82 FJ40
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKcruiser View Post
Its a little out of your price range (ok a lot out of your range), but my next do all bike is going to be a Salsa Fargo. It not a touring bike, its not a commuter, it not a mountain bike, its not a rode bike. They call it an adventure bike. I rode one at ubike the other day and it was amazingly agile and responsive. And stupid simple which I like. Im saving my pennies now, but I think by next weekend Ill be commuting one this cycle.

http://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/
Ya, that looks cool, but like you say, very pricey.

I'm trying to keep this cheap. I have an expensive truck hobby, and a very expensive mountain bike. I'm not a big fan of road riding, but need the exercise and like the idea of killing two birds with one stone.

I'm thinking I'll try to go check out Matt's bike.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post

I'm thinking I'll try to go check out Matt's bike.
you could make that a very functional commuter. FWIW, it's what i'd do to.
82 FJ40