Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default AC conversion from R12 to R134 ?

The AC on my '85 FJ60 has petered out. I've never worked on the AC system before (other than disconnecting it in my old FJ60!). Has anyone done the R134 conversion that can provide some insight? As in what's required, etc. I would rather just keep it R12, but seems like it's no longer legal...

I never needed it in Colorado, but here in Iowa it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity all summer...

'85 FJ60
Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Trail Ready

Go to a parts store (advance auto) and buy a retro fit kit. Comes with two big cans of r-134 with the correct PAG oil... It think it was $40-50. Install the fitting adaptor and fill away. Comes with a gauge too. Mine has been perfect for 15,000 miles of using a/c frequently.
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed
83 CX500 Built. GSXR 1000 front end.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have done the conversion as well. I would recommend ^^ as well as a couple of other things.

Drain the residual oil from your compressor, replace your drier, get a newer oring kit (for r-134a), and refill with proper oil before recharging.

If you want the best setup (I'm from Iowa so I get it...so does Adam above) have someone draw a vac on it before charging.

even after all that it probably won't be as nice as R-12

vuala .. good to go.

84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE
2002 4Runner, bone stock
2013 Tundra, bone stock
1992 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart - deceased

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 08-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I never needed it in Colorado, but here in Iowa it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity all summer...
Where I grew up on the East coast we used to call that double 90s.

When I moved here I swore I would never spend another summer back there. [shudders at the thought].

So glad we don't need A/C here. So Martin, are you missing Brook Forest? It has cracked 80 here about 4-5 times so far this summer.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the info guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
Go to a parts store (advance auto) and buy a retro fit kit. Comes with two big cans of r-134 with the correct PAG oil... It think it was $40-50. Install the fitting adaptor and fill away. Comes with a gauge too. Mine has been perfect for 15,000 miles of using a/c frequently.
Did you have to flush/clean the system before adding the new oil and 134? Any special tools required? Trying to avoid having to take it to a shop.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Where I grew up on the East coast we used to call that double 90s.

When I moved here I swore I would never spend another summer back there. [shudders at the thought].

So glad we don't need A/C here. So Martin, are you missing Brook Forest? It has cracked 80 here about 4-5 times so far this summer.
Yeah Jeff, absolutely miss it!

'85 FJ60
Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

R12 is not illegal, per se. Production of it is, I think. If your system is just low, and the compressor still cycles (or if there's any pressure in the system), you can add a can. Cans are about $25-30 on Craigslist, when you can find them. A shop that has R12 can also legally add it. If your system has zero pressure, it may also be full of air and moisture, in which case 'just adding a can' will not work, and you may as well convert it.

Tons of online resources for how to do this. You do need to fully evacuate the system for 30 minutes (with a competent vacuum pump, not from Harbor Freight) to do this right (before adding the new refrigerant). Swapping the oil, o-rings, etc. is also part of the deal. Do it right, once, and it should be fine - but don't cut any corners. Get some shop estimates, too.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Trail Ready

The first time I did it, I simply just threaded the fitting on and filled away with r134a...10 minutes and I was done, cold a/c.

Rckhound was in a pinch and needed to steal my compressor to get a 60 on a hauler to go to a new owner. This time I replaced the dryer, orings, filled with the correct oil and a reman denso compressor. Did not evacuate the system. Don't turn it into rocket science, it's really not hard at all. You'll need two different box end wrenches to replace the dryer (you should evacuate the system before you crack the lines) then a wrench to thread on the adapter fitting. Everything else in the kit is quick disconnect. Very simple.

If you go to a shop, go to a well known shop that you can trust. You a dealing with comfort here, not safety, but shop guys will tack on tons extra if you sound at all desperate. My female roommate (that knows nothing about cars) was just charged $375 for simple recharge in a new car...blowing cold but she thought it wasn't as cold as it used to be. She said she was only there for 15 minutes. There's no way they replaced a dryer or compressor in that time. Highway robbery.
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed
83 CX500 Built. GSXR 1000 front end.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

My AC was working last summer, and sort of petered out this Spring, so a recharge with 12 would probably be the ticket, but I had no luck finding anyplace that still had it. I'm heading out on a road trip next week and had hoped to have it fixed this weekend but sounds like that's not going to happen if I have to order all this stuff for the conversion and find the time to install. oh well, will just have to drive with the windows open.

When I get back I'll look into getting all the necessary stuff for the conversion and get it done. Thanks again for the info!

'85 FJ60
Old 08-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Has anyone else heard of a product called Duracool? One auto parts store here in town had it and it claims to be an R12 replacement that doesn't require changing out the drier and oil, etc. I'm tempted to just add it and see what happens.

'85 FJ60