Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here is what I did.. No doubt you have seen the 31M here from other pics on mud, but the spacer I fabbed up and the bracket fit might be another good example. Next is to get Christo's kit to wire it all up. Maybe a Christmas present from Ol' St. Nick

Special thanks to my Lifelines out there that I contacted along the way..You know you who are...

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Update

So I finally got my second battery wired. With zippo extra time, I dropped my truck off at Cart Toys on Broadway. 85.00 labor and 70 for cables. Probably a little high priced on the cable but handing someone the keys and going to work at Starbucks , has many advantages over saving a few bucks...

Currently (pun intended) I still have all accessories mounted to my starter 31 DieHard.. Nothing is connected to back up 34 Diehard, except The solenoid and smart chip are connected and secondary ground on back up battery, as well.

The guy at Car toys said so if you leave your radio on, you will still drain your back up battery.. And that got me thinking about the set up.. Called one of my my electrical life lines and we talked about it.. Still not 100% percent. Called the manufacture of the Solenoid and chip and he suggested more items on the back up battery vs the starter..

But I wonder if that is in a traditional model where you have not installed a marine battery for your starter, as well?

My goal, is to always have a charged back up battery and really never use it unless my main is dead. So in this model, I am thinking only thing I need to do is buy the switch that allows the current to draw from the back up battery back to the starter? Essentially a manual override to what the chip is providing.

Anyway, I know this is simple stuff to many but I am not so well versed and trying to get my arms around the best design for what I want... A battery that is always ready if I am by myself in the desert and for some reason I have killed my main..

Thoughts?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Did you use one of those BEP switches to control the battery isolation? Not sure what the Car Toys guy is talking about if you've got your radio still hooked to the starting battery.

It doesn't matter what type of battery you used, capacity is capacity. The difference is in load type tolerance. Marine batteries don't mind long duration, small loads while starting batteries hate them. OTOH, true deep cycle batteries won't last long starting engines. That is due to the differences in construction methods. There are some difference in how deep you can discharge repeatably the various types. But regardless 100 A-hr is 100 A-hr.

If you want a true wired back-up, a battery switch is the easiest solution to that. For that matter, you can mount the battery, use a passive isolator to piggy back to the charging system, essentially trickle charging the back-up when you're driving, and carry a pair of jumper cables to save yourself. The reverse resistance of a diode is very high so it's for all intents and purposes separate from the truck, it's only consumes much current and supplies next to zero.

It's when guys want automatic and smart controllers where the complexity increases. If you have a manual switch that disconnects the second battery and you have nothing hooked to it the only mechanism is self discharge, which is true of all lead-acid batteries. Left long enough the internal resistance of the batteries itself is a very small load that discharges the cells.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have the one from Powerstream from Wes' link, in the first page

I think all I need from doing a bit more research this morning, is a manual switch to over ride the smart chip or as you mentioned jumper cables.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

My basic approach is to keep the starting battery for all the OEM stuff, and the auxiliary battery for all the add-ons (2M, Fridge, Inverter, Karaoke machine, and all auxillary 12v and 110v outlets). But I guess if you want to play music continuously at camp, then you'll need to keep an eye on that starting battery, or get a little portable unit and plug your Ipod into it (assuming you have an inverter).

I've always had my winch wired to my primary battery, I think mostly because of the direct relationship to the alternator for extra power if needed.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
My basic approach is to keep the starting battery for all the OEM stuff, and the auxiliary battery for all the add-ons (2M, Fridge, Inverter, Karaoke machine, and all auxillary 12v and 110v outlets). But I guess if you want to play music continuously at camp, then you'll need to keep an eye on that starting battery, or get a little portable unit and plug your Ipod into it (assuming you have an inverter).

I've always had my winch wired to my primary battery, I think mostly because of the direct relationship to the alternator for extra power if needed.
That helps, thanks.. I have my winch wired to the main also, mostly because I never had a back up.

I think 100s come with inverters, I have one in the center console, I think..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

If it's a stock inverter, then it will be using the primary battery.

But you have a group 31 as your primary, you shouldn't have to worry too much about playing some music....
Old 04-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
That helps, thanks.. I have my winch wired to the main also, mostly because I never had a back up.

I think 100s come with inverters, I have one in the center console, I think..
Nope. They come with 110watt 12v plugs, but not 110v outlets. That seems to be a common misconception, not sure why they even bothered to label those plugs that way. It's just another cig lighter though.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Nope. They come with 110watt 12v plugs, but not 110v outlets. That seems to be a common misconception, not sure why they even bothered to label those plugs that way. It's just another cig lighter though.
So you can plug stuff in like a computer or battery charger for your camera but can't run your drip coffee maker or microwave from them?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
So you can plug stuff in like a computer or battery charger for your camera but can't run your drip coffee maker or microwave from them?
Pretty much. I'll show you this weekend how to jumper the relay, so you can leave the DVD player in back on all day and run that main battery down.

www.gamiviti.com