Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

The problem with laws is, the limitations of language. The laws were put in place in response to specific abuses, such as using spotters in the field to 'round up' elk or push them toward their buddies, using radios to communicate position. There were a group of immigrants in fact who brought up all of their buddies - without licenses - to do just that. Worked in the old country, worked here.

Not sporting.

The guy who got me into big game used to do similar stuff, just not necessarily with radios, and everyone had tags. I never hunted elk with him but my friend did. He was usually the 'pusher'.

It would be a different scenario to report sign to a hunting buddy, or to let him know that the animal you shot is headed toward him, or that you spotted a herd out of your range but possibly in his. But reading the law makes that gray, now. Not sure that was the intention.

Frankly I have found the DOW to be reasonable, and a call to a warden might be educational.

We usually turn on the radios when we hear shots. The worst thing that can happen is when someone wants to be chatty when you are sitting still in the woods and maybe hear a telltale 'crack'...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Most of these laws like use of radios and vehicles, I assume are attempts to prevent poaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I always wonder what Dave said in his repeated deleted posts...
It was not useful to the conversation.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

I ride in blaze during hunting season. Not because It matches by moto, but because for $5 I get some peace of mind. If I get shot, at least I know it's on purpose.
Helmet removed for self-portrait.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Now if you rode with a Union Jack on the back of the blaze orange, it might be misinterpreted as inducement for target practice ... if the shooter was Irish...

OK, OK, bad joke...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Every year out here I see increased small plane air traffic during hunting season. I know there are some breaking the rules. Well at least that's the way you feel watching them overhead all day anyway.
I haven't hunted for years (probably 10+) but back when I did I would almost always see a small plane...I didn't check all of them all of the time but I would usually check out the ones that circled and an area I was in/near. These were always DOW or "official" planes from what I could tell. If you believe otherwise just note the tail number and report it.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater