Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 AM

Default Clean Front Diff

Decided to pull my 78 FJ40 front diff while I'm waiting for my seal/bearing kit to arrive. I'm doing this to clean up the housing and gears. I assume there is no issue with blasting everything with brake cleaner? Better suggestion? Thanks. Doug
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM

To be more specific, I seperated the diff from the axle housing and I plan to spray brake cleaner to clean all the grey soup off the ring and pinion, bearings, ect. I don't see this as a problem but thought I'd double check. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Rising Sun member

I don't see any reason to go to that effort. The problem for me is that I wouldn't want that solvent to get into places where it can hide and prevent your fresh oil from doing its job. If there's goop and stuff on the ring and pinion I would just wipe it off with a rag and call it good.

On the other hand, some folks would check gear backlash, runout, and all that good stuff, so in that case yes I suppose you need to do a pretty thorough cleaning. Just depends on how much work you want to do.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm with you on this. I've gotten most of the goop out already with rags. I'm going to change out the fluid after 200 miles of 4x4 use, which should get most of the other gunk out with the drain and fill. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Personally, I am of the school where you clean all residual lubricant out with solvent (brake cleaner if it is a trail fix, mineral spirits if it is my parts tank at home), blow everything out with compressed air (which gets most of the solvent out) and then fresh lubricant. If you are planning to do a lubricant change after a couple of hundred miles, then all the better.

The rationale is that that old lubricant, whether grease or oil, carries a bunch of abrasive dirt and stuff in it and you want all the stuff gone gone.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Lifted

You certainly aren't going to hurt it by cleaning it too much but it isn't absolutely necessary either. I would wipe it off as much as possible, hose it down with some brake clean then install it and fill the diff with the cheapest gear oil I could find then run it in 4WD for a while and change it. I might even mix the gear oil 50/50 with ATF and get it good and warm before I dumped it.

You're really over-thinking it, it's just a diff!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 AM

I dropped the diff off at "The Diff Shop" in Colorado Springs. He is going to dip it in his cleaning tank and check clearances for me. Might as well since it's out of the rig. It's going to cost me $30 bucks (if no adjustments are necessary). I plan to reinstall this weekend.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Lifted

That sounds like it is for the best and a really reasonable price. Our third members are the easiest to adjust so it really shouldn't cost much if it does need a little tweaking. So easy in fact, I would do it for free if you were closer.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
That sounds like it is for the best and a really reasonable price. Our third members are the easiest to adjust so it really shouldn't cost much if it does need a little tweaking. So easy in fact, I would do it for free if you were closer.
One of these days I need to learn how to set-up gears...I really don't like taking anything to a shop.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Lifted

Bring it with you if you pick up the birfield and we'll go through it together if you would like.