Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Getting a rig ready for Moab

I have 2 40's and I'd like to set one up for running Moab. I'm new to the site and would like to know how you've set your rigs up for running the Moab.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

make sure everything works, no leaks, and go have fun. There was a guy who did Hells Revenge in a Crown Vic so you can even get by without 4x4 but its helps

thats how I do the Moab.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Wincher

I'm in Moab a few times a year. I'm running a 3rd gen 4runner. Some of the climbs that are drivable would be scary, for me, in a short wheelbase 40. The length on my rig does hinder on some of the steps since the front and rear tires hit steps at the same time. Most trails in Moab are not loops so a rig that is still road legal is good. The summer heat can be 115*+. Moab has trails that you can drive with a stock Rav4 and some that you need a buggy. Most can be driven with a nicely modified rig.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Rising Sun member

Gerdo, which climbs are you referring to? Climbs such as Kenny's Climb on Fins and Things are scary the first time, then you realize that your 40 can do it and then they become fun! I have yet to do Launch Pad though, I know that's another puckery one...

To the OP, here is a link to the vehicle requirements for our Cruise Moab event, which is probably a good guideline for anybody - some of this information is a little dated though:
http://cruisemoab.com/vehicle-requirements.asp

Have fun!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Rear locker and 33's and you can do most everything you want to do.

35" tires and dual lockers and you can do the bigger trails.

My thumbnail picture is my 40 on Golden Crack which is on the Golden Spike trail...............kinda fun when you pop a wheelie at the top of launching pad, SWB keeps it interesting for sure.

97 LX450
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Rock Stacker

I've watched youtube videos and visited the Moab site for min. requirements. My question is, what works best? Which tire size, amount of lift, wider axles, diff locks that work best and how long do you stay on the trails? Do you pack your own food, camping gear and water?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
make sure everything works, no leaks, and go have fun. .
^^^^^^^^^^^ this!

Get comfortable driving the truck, get to know where your tires are, where your diffs are, etc. Make sure it's mechanically solid- no cracked hoses, brakes are 100%, no cooling issues, and new (within 5 years) tires. Then just have fun.

I have led lots of trails in Moab. Would much rather have a confident/capably guy in a stockish rig on my run, than a built rig with a loose nut.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneL View Post
I've watched youtube videos and visited the Moab site for min. requirements. My question is, what works best? Which tire size, amount of lift, wider axles, diff locks that work best and how long do you stay on the trails? Do you pack your own food, camping gear and water?
Trail times vary from 5 to 7 + hours. Major break down and you hear stories of mid night or later on the trail. Yes pack a lunch daily and bring plenty of liquids.

Hard to say what set up is best. Some guys swear by 33" tires and dual lockers. I am running 36" tires, 5.5 inches of lift, low gears, dual lockers, V8 and am still at 90 inch wheel base. Took me a full season to learn how to drive it without flipping it. My advice is don't follow an 80 over obstacles! Pick a 40 line or follow an experienced 40 driver with enough patience to get you through the trail safely.

97 LX450
Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun member

I've seen and done a lot of the milder stuff on 31s and a rear locker (Hells, Fins, Porcupine, Elephant Hill, etc.). Going to 33s would make a lot of trails easier (Kane Creek, Metal Masher, Steel Bender, etc.). I'd probably want lower gearing/35s/dual lockers for the more difficult trails (Cliffhanger, Moab Rim, Behind the Rocks, Golden Spike, etc.)

You don't need to go crazy to be scenic though. Do you have any trails in mind that you want to run?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks FJBrady. What do you have on your 40? Did you put stronger axles in or do you run stock?