Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Most of us are running ARB lockers or Toyota OEM lockers. Many of us had a lock-right,ez-locker, aussie-locker at some time or another. Most of us have 16" rims. Cages, yes for just about everyone but us wagon people.

I'll suggest Hurrah Pass-Chicken corners as a good first run.
Fins and Things as your second run.

Both do-able in a stock truck. Both offer great highlights of the Moab area.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sorry, re read the orignal post. Didn't realize it was fj40 specific. Still useful info though.

For 40's I'll add that transfer case and tranny should be in excellent shape. Don't want a rig that "pops out of gear". Parking brake that works too. Fix any and all leaks. Bad juju to drip fluids in Moab (or anywhere really)
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Rock Stacker

This is all really good information. Just to recap:
1) fix all leaks
2) 33-35" tires
3) locker for rear (ARB or OEM), front optional
4) roll cage
5) food and plenty of water
6) transfer case and tranny in good shape
7) 2.5-4" lift
8) winch
9) 16" rims
10) upgrade axles
11) disc brakes on front and rear
12) power steering
13) engine and power steering oil, grease, spare fan belt and water for radiator
14) tools- high lift jack
15) first aid kit
16) sun screen
Did I forget anything? Please post if I did. I eventually want to setup to overland. I'd like to build a trailer.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Major snafu and fridge in the 40...
TLCA#4180
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Rock Stacker

Nice pic farnhamstj. Definitely bring a cooler and refreshment for the soul.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneL View Post
This is all really good information. Just to recap:
1) fix all leaks
2) 33-35" tires
3) locker for rear (ARB or OEM), front optional
4) roll cage
5) food and plenty of water
6) transfer case and tranny in good shape
7) 2.5-4" lift
8) winch
9) 16" rims
10) upgrade axles
11) disc brakes on front and rear
12) power steering
13) engine and power steering oil, grease, spare fan belt and water for radiator
14) tools- high lift jack
15) first aid kit
16) sun screen
Did I forget anything? Please post if I did. I eventually want to setup to overland. I'd like to build a trailer.
That looks like an incredibly expensive list. Remember J. Kimmels post about the crown vic. As long as your rig is mechanically sound; I'd wheel it in Moab as is. However, I'd grab a Moab Guide Book and research the trails you plan on running beforehand. Most of the harder obstacles have a "go around". Without question you'll know where to put your money after Cruise Moab.
Since CM is not for awhile I'd install a cage and a rear automatic locker. If you decide that an auto locker isn't for you, sell it and splurge for a selectable- ARB or otherwise.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Rising Sun member

don't forget the radio! And if you're going exploring by yourself, a GPS with .gpx data stored in it would be pretty good too!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

First, try to go the first time with someone experienced with the area. You can always hook up with someone from one of the local Moab 4x4 clubs. It is a very large area with some serious obstacles, you should not try too much alone. If you come out during our annual Cruise Moab event, typically during the first week of May, we'll make sure you have a good time and are safe. Be sure you have a CB radio, HAM is even better, and tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back.

There are many trails you can run safely in a bone stock FJ40. Spend as much money as possible focusing on getting the rig in tip top running condition first with a focus on reliability. This is not the time to jury rig stuff or cut corners.

Taller tires give you more ground clearance, but then you need lower gears. The more gearing you have, to allow you to crawl in Moab, the better. If your rig already has 4.10's in it you are OK for starters. If it has 3.73's then better gears are a good idea. Try starting with nothing bigger than 33" tires to start with. That way you get more ground clearance without excessive body lift. If you can swing it, put an ARB locker in the rear, the next best choice is a detroit locker then a Lock-rite in that order. A roll bar is mandatory and a roll cage is strongly advised.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the information. I have a set of 16" wheels and I haven't bought tires. I think I'll go with 33's. I have the stock roll bar and I'm wondering if it will be good enough? I have most of the items on the list. I'll need a locker for the rear and a fire extinguisher. Will I need a winch? I was thinking of starting with the Fins and Things. My 40 is basically stock with 4.11's and a 2.5" lift. It has an F engine with a three speed on the floor. I'm a little concerned with the reliability of the engine. I'd like to put a different engine in it. I'm thinking of an EFI setup and maybe an auto trans. I'd like your input. Good idea or bad?

Last edited by EugeneL; 10-25-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

I ran all the Moab trails open/open on 31s in an otherwise bone stock 3 speed 40. After a couple of years I put a locker (lockright) in the rear. Best mod I have ever done. Then after a while the committee decided that most trails required 33s. D@mn. Okay, so I lifted a couple inches and put 33s on. A couple years later I stuck a 4 speed H42 in. That's what I run now. Coarse spline birfs, drum brakes, steering by Armstrong, no roll bar.

My friends in Rising Sun who showed me how to wheel (Rob Meredith, Dave Spratlen, Greg Luer, Kevin Ehrlick, James Bingham, Dan Dilly, Stephen Rudy, and others) basically have said to me, and showed me, that it isn't the rig so much as the nut behind the wheel.

Just make sure all your mechanicals are in good shape and don't worry about mods.

Learn to drive first, then think about what mods suit your style. Pick good lines and have fun!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/